Technical Is my Fiat F****d???

Currently reading:
Technical Is my Fiat F****d???

VW1971

Hi there, I have bought a 16 plate Fiat in the UK (secondhand dealership) and 6 weeks into an engine only warranty these have all happened:

1) weird humming noise when pulling away and reversing, someone posted the exact same video of it on You Tube with no solution! Garage had a look and replaced the clutch something or other but its still there!
2) I noticed that the lights on the heating and air-con plate was flickering on and off intermittently only on the left side at night. Googled it and it could be the bulb gone/going.
3) I noticed last week the rear view washer wasn't releasing fluid, I could hear the motor working but no screen wash coming out. I filled up the screen trough in the engine to full and tested it, sure enough the trough was going down but the water not reaching the back of the car. felt the passenger side foot well and it was sodden. Cant get clips off to pin point the leak site.
4) Took car out today and its raining, being mindful not to press the rear screen washer motor as I do not send anymore fluid into the footwell, I am only using my wiondscreen wipers. When I am turning on my front wipers, occasionally the screen wash comes out when I haven't pushed the paddle in that direction at all. Also the back wiper starts going too when I haven't pressed it.

Are all of these connected or what is going on? Help would be appreciated. I have had the car 6 bloomin weeks!!!!

Oh an forgot to say from day the front right wiper drags across screen!!!!

Someone with all the details will pop up but if you buy a car from a dealer everything should work correctly.
You need to look into your rights as a buyer when purchasing a second hand car. You then will know how to approach the dealer who sold it too you with a view to getting them to fix the faults.

You may want to post which car it is , which engine and how many miles it has travelled.

Someone with all the details will pop up but if you buy a car from a dealer everything should work correctly.
You need to look into your rights as a buyer when purchasing a second hand car. You then will know how to approach the dealer who sold it too you with a view to getting them to fix the faults.

You may want to post which car it is , which engine and how many miles it has travelled.
Thanks Jack. They said it came with a 3 month engine warranty. It is a Fiat 1.2 lounge 2016 plate, one previous owner, FSH with FIAT (apparently) only 22K on the clock.

Did you buy from a national chain of dealers?
No a small dealership. They have been good about me taking it back re the humming noise tbf and said write down all the issues and bring it back in but I want to know if all of these are part of a bigger wiring/electrical issue plus something with that humming. It is putting me off with all these issues. :(

Hi, and welcome:) I see you've posted in the 500 section, so maybe a mod could move this there please so it gets more views? @ben?

I agree with jackwhoo, it would be best to get the dealership to sort out these issues. However, if not possible, then:
1) weird humming noise when pulling away and reversing, someone posted the exact same video of it on You Tube with no solution! Garage had a look and replaced the clutch something or other but its still there!
Could you post a link to the video you found of the noise? Impossible to diagnose otherwise, could be almost anything.
It's very common for the exhaust manifold heat shield to break loose (between engine and radiator), mine rattles about.
3) I noticed last week the rear view washer wasn't releasing fluid, I could hear the motor working but no screen wash coming out.
Quite common in cold weather for a frozen pipe to force itself off either the washer motor (near the wipers), or the nozzle (in the high level brake light). This thread might be helpful - it's for a Panda, 500 probably similar: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/my-3-rear-washer-jet.486466/#post-4589195
I filled up the screen trough in the engine to full and tested it, sure enough the trough was going down but the water not reaching the back of the car. felt the passenger side foot well and it was sodden.
Just checking - by 'trough' do you mean the washer reservoir, a white-ish plastic container with yellow (I think - it's blue on my older car) cap and a diagram of a windscreen?

It's just the word 'trough' makes me think of the scuttle drain below the windscreen. It can fill with water, but shouldn't!
There are two rubber 'duckbill' drains that need to be kept clear.
Water can find its way into the footwells if it overflows.
4) When I am turning on my front wipers, occasionally the screen wash comes out when I haven't pushed the paddle in that direction at all. Also the back wiper starts going too when I haven't pressed it.
Only thing that comes to mind is the common 500 rear hatch wiring loom fault, so I would start by checking the wiring there.

The noise could be as simple as a wheel arch liner rubbing on the tyre or a twig aught in the "fan" belt. You need to drive the car and have someone listen (with window open) from every seat. That should narrow-down the source.

Hi there, I have bought a 16 plate Fiat in the UK (secondhand dealership) and 6 weeks into an engine only warranty these have all happened:

2) I noticed that the lights on the heating and air-con plate was flickering on and off intermittently only on the left side at night. Googled it and it could be the bulb gone/going.
3) I noticed last week the rear view washer wasn't releasing fluid, I could hear the motor working but no screen wash coming out. I filled up the screen trough in the engine to full and tested it, sure enough the trough was going down but the water not reaching the back of the car. felt the passenger side foot well and it was sodden. Cant get clips off to pin point the leak site.
4) Took car out today and its raining, being mindful not to press the rear screen washer motor as I do not send anymore fluid into the footwell, I am only using my wiondscreen wipers. When I am turning on my front wipers, occasionally the screen wash comes out when I haven't pushed the paddle in that direction at all. Also the back wiper starts going too when I haven't pressed it.

Are all of these connected or what is going on? Help would be appreciated. I have had the car 6 bloomin weeks!!!!

Oh an forgot to say from day the front right wiper drags across screen!!!!
If you bought it through a finance, lease or credit card then go to them and state you’re not a happy customer and, as the car technically belongs to them, they will be only too happy (if you say it’s your car you sort it) to tell you ‘your rights and get in touch with the dealership’ to sort you out

Sounds like a group of minor issues which the above cover mostly. Internal exhaust baffle failure inside the silencer could explain humming. I once had a loose airbox lid that caused humming that drove me mad. Check all air pipes and the air cleaner box are mounted properly and not loose. Check air intake pipe if this attached to the front cross paned is fixed and not unbolted / unclipped or broken

Back