Technical Is it possible to do oil change with pump via dipstick tube on Abarth 500?

Currently reading:
Technical Is it possible to do oil change with pump via dipstick tube on Abarth 500?

Hi Guys and Gals

Anyone know if Is it possible to do oil change with pump via dipstick tube on Abarth 500? I thought it would be easier not having a lift and not removing the under engine cover etc.

Thanks Sharpyboy

The question of is extracting the engine oil by suction via the dipstick tube a good idea? has been done to death.

If you care about the car do it correctly via sump plug.

J

I believe in doing things the factory way as much as possible

Anyhow if needs must it’s not the end of the world and as long as it’s done regular

I believe in doing things the factory way as much as possible

Anyhow if needs must it’s not the end of the world and as long as it’s done regular
I agree with koalar, correct way is always best , however if you choose to do it with a vacuum pump and tube, make sure engine is fully warmed up so oil flows well , give it a few moments to have drained down into the sump and park the vehicle where the oil will collect at the base of the dipstick tube and use the largest tube that will easily slide down without jamming. Obviously check correct level on level ground afterwards.
A lot of people turn there noses up at doing this but, for example many boats have no choice as the engines are low down in a boat where it is impossible to get a tray below the sump. Often large industrial engines have a pump on the side of the engine specifically for that purpose.
I have also come across sump plugs that have been done up so violently tight by a previous "technician" that the soft metal even with the correct tool just rounds off. Often you can find an extractor to fit, extract and replace the plug , but some makes have a small internal socket fitting and the plug it's self is flush with the aluminium sump which could involve an expensive repair.
At the end of the day new clean oil is best however you are forced to change it!:)

When I had my Abarth a few weeks I could not undo my plug (old and frail), so I got my extractor out. After half an hour there was still oil left in the sump...
Luckily my son came round and he loosened the plug to get the last 1,5 liter out. I always lift the left side a little (jack) cause the plug is on the right. That way I have room to turn my tools and room for the tray.
Mine has no cover under the engine, but I beleive they are shaped with a cutout that allows access to the sump plug.

gr J

When I had my Abarth a few weeks I could not undo my plug (old and frail), so I got my extractor out. After half an hour there was still oil left in the sump...
Luckily my son came round and he loosened the plug to get the last 1,5 liter out. I always lift the left side a little (jack) cause the plug is on the right. That way I have room to turn my tools and room for the tray.
Mine has no cover under the engine, but I beleive they are shaped with a cutout that allows access to the sump plug.

gr J
I agree with your point, about ensuring you get all the old oil out, so assuming the oil was correct on the dip stick initially it is a good idea to check on those vacuum pump extractors (they often have measured increments on the side )that you have drained, what is the correct amount of oil. Though if vehicle positioned in the right place and the vacuum pipe goes all the way to the bottom of the sump by checking it should be quite possible. Also as mentioned earlier, the correct draining at sump plug is always the best option, although pumping out has to be better than leaving the original dirty oil in.:)

My experience is,. Halfords, kwikfit and national cant/won’t even entertain the idea of an Abarth oil change.
I personally think there is only one way Drain it, all the rubbish is left in the bottom of the sump if you just suck it out. I have just had my oil changed & the 1st question i asked “do you drain the oil or suck it” The garage also fitted a new sump plug which is normal. It’s not worth cutting corners!

Back