Technical Is it normal to install a new battery with a larger capacity

Currently reading:
Technical Is it normal to install a new battery with a larger capacity

Mando

I installed a new battery with larger amp-hr is this OK or does it take longer to recharge or does it put a load on the alternator ?

I always make few trips with my car so it always sits unmoved most of the time, what can I do to prevent discharged situation, I change my battery every 2 years or so, is it better to remove the battery from the car or start the engine for 15 mins every week ?

Hi,
Fittinga higher capacity battery is OK and quite common. It will not put more stress on the Alternator. If trips are infrequent but long, a bigger capacity battery will help ith your starting issues. Running the car just to charge the battery is not a good idea. Given your country I'd suggest you get a a solar panel This can sit on the dashboard or rer parcel shelf and charges the battery when the sun shines.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks Robert for your reply, I will research the solar panels before getting any , they are Known to be expensive.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I never knew about this item before, thanks a lot, and apparently the low power panels are all cheap and affordable, great idea, so the only thing to do is connect it to the cigarette lighter socket and leave it do it's job and that's it, am I right ?

I never knew about this item before, thanks a lot, and apparently the low power panels are all cheap and affordable, great idea, so the only thing to do is connect it to the cigarette lighter socket and leave it do it's job and that's it, am I right ?

Correct.
The only thing to check is that the lighter socket is live with the ignition off. I don't know the Palio to tell if this is the case. If it's not live you need to add a live socket or modify the existing one (on some crs this is just moving a fuse).
You don't need a big high power panel as it is only compensating for the battery self discharge and light loads like the alarm, rado and clock.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks a lot Robert, valuable information, next step is to find a solar panel near me :p

Back