Technical Is Castrol GTX 10W40 suitable for a 1.9MJet?

Currently reading:
Technical Is Castrol GTX 10W40 suitable for a 1.9MJet?

BrianMcL

The reason I ask is that my local Asda have it on sale this morning - 4 litres of part synth for £12 down from £20.

Their book says to use Castrol Magnatec but if you want to use asda's own then their own semi syth is fine.

It seems like a good price for a decent oil, I'm just a bit nervous about whether it would be suitable.

They've got 5W 30 for the same money - is that any better?

Mind you, Halfords have 4L of 5w30 fully synth for vx/opel for £10 which looks like a serious bargain. Would that be OK?

Oils, Oils, Oils .......

For Croma 16V Diesel Engine the offical handbook specified oil is Selenia WR or Oil to Fiat 9.55535-N2 specification.

Selenia WR meets all the following specs/standards

Selenia WR 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil (Croma)
----------------------------------
Highly selcted synthetic-based oil
Fuel Diesel

SAE 5W-40
ACEA B3/B4
API CF
MB 229.3 (Mercedes Benz)
VW 502.00/505.00 (Volkswagon)
GM-LL-B-025 (General Motors)
FIAT 9.55535-M2 (Fiat)

Now any reputable oil make that can meet or exceed these specifications is perfectly OK for your Croma.

Note that Selenia WR is not a fully synthetic oil.

I use Castrol Turbo Edge Diesel but am looking to change to other brands depending on price and performance in line with the above minimum specs.

NOTE! It is over 5 years since the Croma was launched and 5 years is a long time in the lubrication industry.

Now that diesel engines are becoming more common, expecially modern ones that rev to 5K rpm then I'm seeing a tendancy for petrol engines and diesel engines to be more generally covered with common multi spec single products.

The ony advice I will give is:

1) ALWAYS meet or exceed the minimum specification
2) Readily available products from garages/halfords/motor factors can be cheaper and more convenient than "special orders"
3) Be careful with the 4L vs 5L packs. For a full Croma oil change you will need more than 4L but less than 5L. Depending on your engines oil consuption between oil changes then a 5L bottle may get you through to the next oil change. If not then 2 by 4L packs should be sufficent but double the outlay. 2 by 5L will be even more expensive but leave you with surplus stock. (note I'm assuming that %L costs more than 4L although this is not always the case. one nice thing about Halfords own brands is they are all 5L tubs at the same price or less than the Mobil etc. 4L ones).

Oils are certainly complicated, that's for sure. The Halfords vx/opel fully synth certainly seems to meet the above standards incl the GM one and B3/B4.

The odd thing with this special offer is that you can buy 4L for £10 or 2L for £18.99.

Another thing I noticed when I was shopping around for bits and pieces was that eurocarparts have an EGR valve for £70 and the pierburg one for £80. Don't remember seeing them cheaper than that before.

I did get a fully-synth oil from Asda a year or two ago. It wasn't mega-cheap, but was the cheapest at the time. I doubt you'd get a fully synth oil for the sort of price you mention.

There's also this, which I've used before...

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/car-maintenance/wilko-fully-synthetic-formula-5w-40-motor-oil-5ltr/invt/0286551/?VBMST=synthetic%20oil&VBMST=synthetic%20oil&VBMTC=60275a81b300b98924bf4bd089f094c2

I don't think either complies with the low-ash requirement for a DPF though, so make your own mind up - personally, I can't imagine what comes from burning perhaps 1/2 a litre of oil makes a jot of difference compared to the amount of crap that comes from setting fire to a thousand litres of diesel, containing all sorts of additives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Halfords info BrianMcL. I grabbed a couple of cans of the fully synthetic 5w 30 to try. I am a little overdue for my normal 6 monthly oil change (but well within Fiat's recommended guidelines) and this has prompted me to get on with it, as soon as we get some suitable weather.
I used 5w 40 last time, so I am interested to see if I notice any difference with the 5w 30. If it seems ok (or hopefully an improvement) then I'll get another can and have enough for another change in the summer.

On another note, I had a look at stereos while I was in Halfords and noticed a very reasonably priced double din head unit, that should fit the Croma. After some research I think I am going to go for the more expensive DAB unit, but I am going to email JVC 1st before I spend out. I don't trust Halford's 'expert advice' - even their ask a question service online comes back with the response: "all our stereos fit 95% of UK cars"!! What use is that? That is the reason that I rarely venture into any of their stores.
I almost feel guilty at just using them for their offers!!

Back