Technical Intermittent Screeching Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Screeching Noise

datg77

Morning all,

I have a 2004 Fiat Punto 1.2 which for the last few months has developed the most embarrassing screeching noise from the engine bay.

The noise used to appear once I drove over 40 mph for a while. It now makes a slight noise when doing 60+ and seems to happen quite a bit when I am stationary in traffic. It seems loosely related to when the fan kicks in but as it makes the sound (albeit quieter) over 60 even when cold, I cant find a correlation. Maybe it's wind resistance when at speed?!?!

I changed the Alternator belt about a month ago and the garage struggled to work out what the problem was.

When it happens in standing traffic, even if I switch off the car, the noise continues for about 30 seconds. It then dies out.

If anyone has had this before or has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards,
David.

Hi...!

I had a similar problem with a broken bearing in the fan. It made screeching sound when drivning "fast" and spining when active...

I find out that I could provoke the sound by spin the fan hard by hand and besides that, feel a extra movement in the bearing.

Changed the fan and the problem was solved :)

Try to spin and listen or feel if you got a unusual movement...

Hi...!

I had a similar problem with a broken bearing in the fan. It made screeching sound when drivning "fast" and spining when active...

I find out that I could provoke the sound by spin the fan hard by hand and besides that, feel a extra movement in the bearing.

Changed the fan and the problem was solved :)

Try to spin and listen or feel if you got a unusual movement...

Never stick your hand near thr fan while the ignition or engine on

Always cold and car off / or battery disconnected

The reason is the fan can spin up anytime
Weather its a fault or upto temperature
It will take fingers

Ziggy

Never stick your hand near thr fan while the ignition or engine on

Always cold and car off / or battery disconnected

The reason is the fan can spin up anytime
Weather its a fault or upto temperature
It will take fingers

Ziggy

Hmm... I just assumed that, what you are saying, is common sense working with cars... I'm apparently wrong ;)

Back