Technical Intermittent Misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Misfire

tommybousfield

Please help!

I have a Fiat Panda Pop 1.2, 2014. It has had problems on and off. When on the motorway, the engine light begins to flash, it loses power and slows. The error codes indicate a misfire in cylinders 2 & 4.

I have now replaced the coil pack (twice!), the connectors and all the spark plugs. The problem goes away for a period and then returns.

I have read about this elsewhere and people have suggested either a faulty ECU or even just faulty connections to the ECU. Has anyone got any ideas for a fix? I don't want to throw more good money after bad!

Please help!

I have a Fiat Panda Pop 1.2, 2014. It has had problems on and off. When on the motorway, the engine light begins to flash, it loses power and slows. The error codes indicate a misfire in cylinders 2 & 4.

I have now replaced the coil pack (twice!), the connectors and all the spark plugs. The problem goes away for a period and then returns.

I have read about this elsewhere and people have suggested either a faulty ECU or even just faulty connections to the ECU. Has anyone got any ideas for a fix? I don't want to throw more good money after bad!
Injectors? How sophisticated is your code reader, does it give fuel trims etc (live and historic data)?

Injectors? How sophisticated is your code reader, does it give fuel trims etc (live and historic data)?
Thanks for the reply!

It doesn't. I have taken it to a garage. I'll take it back and see if I can get this data. Is this the most likely thing, do you think?

Thanks for the reply!

It doesn't. I have taken it to a garage. I'll take it back and see if I can get this data. Is this the most likely thing, do you think?
I really don't know; without full error codes and then step-by-step elimination of parts that might have failed your only course of action is to "fire the parts cannon". An error code might indicate a miss-fire on (say cylinder 4 - it wasn't a TA was it?!) but this does not indicate the cause. Since you appear to have swapped out all the electrics then I would look to the fuelling system. Here, if the misfire is present while standing on the drive try swapping injectors out say 4 to 3 to see if error goes with it. I say that without knowing how much of a pain (or otherwise) swapping injectors is on that engine. Alternatively give it some injector fuel treatment at the recommended dose and see if the issue goes away.

I have no specific experience with the issue as described but you have to try to be methodical and eliminate possibilities, good luck!

Please help!

Have you tried a phonic wheel reset? Sounds suspiciously like the issue I had after a timing belt change. The reset cured issue exactly the same as yours.

Your car doesn't need any new ignition coils, keep the old ones for replacement later because they're probably just fine. Have you changed spark plugs ever? :unsure:

If it occured shortly after cambelt change - then it needs to be checked that the garage did a proper job with the belt and probably needs phonic wheel relearn. If it hasn't had a cambelt changed then it probably needs a new cambelt pretty quickly because the timing is probably off a bit. o_O

Back