Technical Intermittant cold bad starting eml flashes

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittant cold bad starting eml flashes

mikesworkshop

Hi, my 1.4 16v idea 2004 has suddenly decided to play up.
Most of the last week it has refused to start.The engine turns over but will not start,at the same time the engine light flashes Amber.
Sometimes a warning of high coolant temperature along with the gauge momentarily goes of scale followed by red light on temp gauge happens but not always.
If I turn off the ignition,wait then try again sometimes it will start.
Once started it is fine and drives perfectly.
Then when the engine cools or left over night I have the same problems.
The coolant temperature sensor and crank sensor have been renewed but made no difference .
Any ideas ???
Thanks

Hi, my 1.4 16v idea 2004 has suddenly decided to play up.
Most of the last week it has refused to start.The engine turns over but will not start,at the same time the engine light flashes Amber.
Sometimes a warning of high coolant temperature along with the gauge momentarily goes of scale followed by red light on temp gauge happens but not always.
If I turn off the ignition,wait then try again sometimes it will start.
Once started it is fine and drives perfectly.
Then when the engine cools or left over night I have the same problems.
The coolant temperature sensor and crank sensor have been renewed but made no difference .
Any ideas ???
Thanks

battery to gearbox earth leads can corrode internally, :eek:
all the sensors get confused by unexpected power drop..hence poor starting / errors,
what codes are you getting..? :confused:
temp related ones..or a mix..??

double check fusebox for DAMP also;)

:idea: after using a jump lead as a 2nd temporary earth, battery to engine metalwork;

NEXT - I'd suspect the battery..;)

Charlie

Hi Charlie,thanks for your reply .I will check what you have suggested.
The battery was renewed about a month ago.
Fault codes are random ,most of the time are not present even when not starting.
However I have had coolant temperature sensor a few times which is why I renewed the sensor and on one occasion throttle actuator.
Thanks

Back