Insurance renewal

Currently reading:
Insurance renewal

Bunny

Curse of the were-rabbit
I'm currently insurance through the AA. There have just send me a reminder that my insurance needs renewing soon. They are after charging me £300 MORE, than i pay now. Why is this? I've never claimed on my policy and now have a 1yrs NCB :D

I've looked on confused.com but the cost is still about what i pay now.
Anyone know any good insurance companies i should take a look at?

Bunny said:
I'm currently insurance through the AA. There have just send me a reminder that my insurance needs renewing soon. They are after charging me £300 MORE, than i pay now. Why is this? I've never claimed on my policy and now have a 1yrs NCB :D

I've looked on confused.com but the cost is still about what i pay now.
Anyone know any good insurance companies i should take a look at?
Admiral, Elephant or Bell, they’re basically the same company. Just bounce each of them off each other until you get the price right down. I wouldn’t recommend using Confused, you’ll get it a considerable amount cheaper going direct.

I was looking to insure a 106 1.6 GTi, everything declared and it was only £800 through Elephant. Now that I thought was cheap for an 18 year old with only 1 years NCB.

When she went with the AA last year, did they price match at all? This may have reduced the overall premium, to get her business - but now they have put it back to a full premium, discounted by 30% NCB - £300 does seem high though.

I don't like using confused.com, always given me meaningless results.

www.moneysupermarket.com

Asdas always best for me :)

Did you start that policy when you were still on L plates? That might explain the increase. But dont alot of companies put the renewal up as most people just pay it without shopping around since they found that company the cheapest last year?

I changed my car half way though the policy but even that didn't increase it.

I did start my insurance as a L driver but when i passed the insurance people said my insurance went down which it did, but due to admin costs i still paid a little to change the policy detail.

Why the increase? Do there think that people will not shop about and accept what is given to them? Maybe there just want rid of me.....

Just got a insurance quote from Quinn direct, anyone heard of them? The quote is for £663 which is half the AA are quoteing me, plus i can drive other cars. Which mean i can share the driving of the Tipo to Brooklands :D

Bunny said:
plus i can drive other cars. Which mean i can share the driving of the Tipo to Brooklands :D
Remember, you can only drive other cars NOT owned by you, and it is 3rd party cover only - useful for emergencies.

Stuart DemonD said:
Remember, you can only drive other cars NOT owned by you, and it is 3rd party cover only - useful for emergencies.

Thats fine - if I'm not in the driving seat there must be an emergency happening :p Plus she certainly does not own it :p

Try Adrian Flux, they take more into account and sound like they actually know the difference between a Fiat and a Ford.

Last edited:
Hellcat said:
Thats fine - if I'm not in the driving seat there must be an emergency happening :p Plus she certainly does not own it :p

I get much better MPG out of the Tipo, so there for i'm driving a bit of the way :p
As for owning it, i'll let you own it and spend your money on it :p

Yep i'm 24yrs old. I've just called Elephant who give me a quote for £900 with Rob on it. Plus i made sure i can drive other cars.
Hmmm now i'll have to decide who to go with......

I've heard of Quinn Direct, if I can remember right they're Irish. They seem to be giving a lot of cheap quotes to young drivers.

As for the increase with AA, have you tried phoning them to make sure they've not received any wrong information (ie. any crashes etc). Whilst on the phone I would also inquire about the increase, ask for the reason behind it etc.

I've checked online and the details correct but i'll call them. The funny thing is when i do a quote online as a new customer the quote is just over £850, which bets the £1297 they give me.
The company i'm insuranced with atm are funny, there policy will not allow you to be insuranced with them if you drive a 2ltr engine and above.

Renewal quotes are seldom competative, insurance companies (like mobile telephony providers) assume that you'll stay with the same company because its too much hastle to change... My advice is to shop around and then get your current insurer to match the quote; or, if you're happy with a different insurance provider move your policy.

One other note, is that insurnace risk ratings change daily, many insurance companies will issue a quote which is valid for 7 days only (or less). It would be a good idea to start getting quotes from different providers the before your policy runs out and use the cheapest quote. If you're getting quotes online, some insurance companies will even be able to beat their own quote if you phone them up! Results can vary though, but as a general rule of thumb, you should usually be able to get a premium for less or about the same amount as the previous years premium - unless you've made a claim or had your licence endorsed, or have done other naughty/illegal things.

Back