Off Topic Insurance as i had a crash

Currently reading:
Off Topic Insurance as i had a crash

THELASTBULL3T

Right i swapped the alloy wheels on my punto mk2 to a different set

1. Would that invalidate the insurance as they are still alloys that are on the vehicle

2. If i swapped them for steelies would that invalidate it aswell? ..

Nedd replies asap please help!!

Reading between the lines Stu I guess he's fretting that he didn't declare the wheels so calling his Insurer would be wrong for him.

I know you know that lol!

Should always declare any modifications for just such eventualities.

Did you swap original genuine alloys for aftermarket wheels? Did you have the alloys declared in the first place?

Some insurance companies will allow you to swap over to steel wheels through the winter for the use of winter tires without having to inform them, however all this is still very much dependant on your insurance company.

too many questions to answer on a forum
you really need to assess your own answer in case you end up owing for 3rd party damages if insurer decides to cancel your insurance

my insurers took a pint of blood off me this year as well as emptying my wallet ,they allow me to drive most things under a trade policy but they still carefully word my policy that any mods will need confirming before im insured
i see lots of lads working in garages with slammed vw dustbins driving round i just think do they know they have invalidated their policies if indeed they ever had one

1. Would that invalidate the insurance as they are still alloys that are on the vehicle

Was it your fault as this would affect my answer?

Well i had a crash and basically wrote my car off and also it originally had alloys... so yeah i dont know wether to get a new car

confusing this,

are you going through a claim with car and are thinking of liberating the alloys off it and replacing with steelies?

is this what you mean?

Basically my car came with alloys, but i didnt like them so i swapped them for 14 inch slightly better looking as they wrre dirt cheap, i crashed my car and have been told that is most likely gonna be a write off and i didnt declare that i swapped the alloys.... and obviously im in a way voiding the insurance .... but it already came with alloys... so.

I was asking if i was to put steelies on my car.... as it isnt standard... as alloys were sta dard...would my insurance be void?

did you tell the insurer that you had any alloys?
if no then you fecked. unless the car's standard spec was alloys.

did you say it had factroy alloys then fit aftermarket alloys?
is yes you fecked

i think you had an active sport? they came with alloys, if the wheels on it are oem fiat wheels you may be lucky

Last edited:
I was asking if i was to put steelies on my car.... as it isnt standard... as alloys were sta dard...would my insurance be void?

As previously stated some insurance companies allow this especially over winter with winter tires.

The thing is if you crash with steel wheels and wreck one of them it's no Issue to get a replacement steel wheel...

If you wreck an original fit alloy wheel it's much more expensive but generally they can still get hold of replacements via the dealer network

If you wreck an aftermarket wheel which by the sounds of it you bought second hand then it can be impossible to source a replacement wheel so they have to look at replacing a whole set of wheels. A lot more expense to the insurer.....

Had you declared the aftermarket wheels they would have adjusted your premium accordingly however if you just assumed it was ok to swap alloy for alloy wheels then you where very wrong and could find they now won't pay up especially if those wheels and tires are not in the right spec for the car.

The argument of "what if I fitted steelies" isn't going to get you far at all, this could end up being an expensive lesson in why you should declare your modifications no matter how trivial you think it might be

Back