Technical Instruments dropping out, relay clicking, CAN errors

Currently reading:
Technical Instruments dropping out, relay clicking, CAN errors

This isn't my Stilo - if mine behaved like this, it would be disowned!

This Stilo belongs to a friend. First I replaced the clutch, then out of nowhere the engine started burning lots of oil. Thinner oil seems to have fixed that, still a cloud of smoke when starting though.

After connecting the diagnostic cable, there has been an ASR/ESP error - can be triggered by pushing on the (insecure, missing the top screw) fuse box/body computer inside the car.

Now it has got to the stage you see in the video below - almost worth watching just for the entertainment value (y) a comedy of errors, I chose appropriate music too. Video shot while driving around an empty industrial park at night.

I wanted to capture the way the cigarette lighter light (and ashtray light) flash in time with the machine-gun sound from the relay (fuse box area). But I missed it, sorry. Also the number plate lights flash too. With the headlights on Auto, they flash on and off, and the wipers start themselves. The indicators stop flashing (stay on) in time with the other things.

Speedo looks like it's got a dodgy cable (Uno or X1/9 style) and readings from the trip computer are spectacular, check out that average speed.

ASR/ESP failure is caused by CAN bus errors (fault code 1702 I think it was) and Loose Connection probably the same?

I think I should take the corner of the dash off and strip the area, checking for backed-off terminals in plugs.

Could this be a D4 problem as well - or something else? :(

Thanks for any ideas,
-Alex

Last edited:
Step one...make sure the battery is healthy and strong.

Step one completed by fitting new battery

Steps two-eight completed over several months: fuse boxes, plugs, wiring, gearbox earth, other earths - stripped/cleaned/resistances measured. No difference

Step nine: disconnect alternator. All problems go away. As long as voltage remains around 12v, no less and no more (not 13.8v at the battery), no worries. This isn't a solution but it shows what is wrong

Step nine and a half: mess around replacing capacitors etc inside body computer, the hope being to get its power supply voltage regulator working again - hours wasted

Step ten: body computer replaced - all problems stay gone even with alternator reconnected

Of course as a result of changing the body computer (a tablecloth-and-plates scenario), I have a load of other problems (odometer/can't proxy align/need to recode second key, etc.) - please refer to https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/282264-brought-2002-stilo-jtd-project-9.html?p=3339721

Thanks,
-Alex

Last edited:
I had exactly that problem on my abarth.

Its one of the 5 ignition coils that is causing that. They may work fine and the engine works well, but one of them is causing backwards electrical spikes! I replaced batteries and checked everything you did. It was the coils.

I replaced all 5 with new ones from shop4parts website on the cheap.
Its these ones: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...ilo_2.4_20v_Ignition_Coils&cat=Ignition_Coils

edit: I still get the "loose connection" error when stay more than 2 or 3 minutes connected to the VAGCOM port. But all other problems were solved by the coils

Last edited:
Thanks - I wondered the same - but now that I've changed the body computer, the problems have gone away. So - I don't know whether it's worth putting the old body computer back in and trying to change coils.

I do have the other problems to solve - proxy align needs to be done but the climate control module won't cooperate.

-Alex

My problems was all the same.. con ection problem was engine rpm sensor. Replaced sensor and problem gone forever. For dash problems and esp error was spark plug driver. Got three used, and changed first cilinder then second and third,for just to try it out. And wow, no more problems. I hate the guy who wrote you to add more mass cables to ground everything. Just need spark plug driver.. thank God.

I had similar problem, only fuel gauge + relay light was reseting some times ...

New battery improved a little during 4 month, but lately is was going worse, I even had mileage of the car increase by 2km each time ..

Changer the 5 coil, problem went away.

Back