Technical Install original xenon headlights on a non-xenon Bravo

Currently reading:
Technical Install original xenon headlights on a non-xenon Bravo

No halogen bulb will ever reach the light output of HID.

The only difference between night breakers and normal halogens, is they're slightly more powerful and have a blue filter to make them appear white and not yelloy.

Sometimes more powerful halogen bulbs melt your headlight casing and wires as well as screw with your electronics. so use with caution.

Yes, I used to have a Punto Evo and a few people on here had problems with melted lenses.

Reflector lamps are better for halogen bulbs. That's why the non-xenon audi have reflectors, and xenons have projectors.

HALOGEN:
7513_st0320_043.jpg

XENON:
headlight.jpg

LED:
lead9-2012-audi-a6-30t-quattro-review.jpg

That's what fiat should have done.

Last edited:
any pictures of the lights shining against a wall?

does it still have a clear sharp line?

nighbreakers are not xenon, their simple halogen bulbs.

Xenon is the name of the gaz that is used inside HID bulbs.

You can call them HID or XENON, you're still talking about the same thing and both are correct terms.

Most Easterly Pandas, stop confusing people. :rolleyes:

I'm not confusing people, it is you.

Xenon is the gas in the bulb, which is what nightbreakers etc have in them (just like HIDs) dispite being 'filament' bulb rather than an Arc / High Intenstiy Discharge (HID).

Halogen Filamentbulbs are not the same Xenon Filament bulbs, just as Xenon Filament Bulbs are not the sams as Xenon HID bulbs. ;)

I'm not confusing people, it is you.

Xenon is the gas in the bulb, which is what nightbreakers etc have in them (just like HIDs) dispite being 'filament' bulb rather than an Arc / High Intenstiy Discharge (HID).

Halogen Filamentbulbs are not the same Xenon Filament bulbs, just as Xenon Filament Bulbs are not the sams as Xenon HID bulbs. ;)

Are you telling me osram halogen bulbs are xenon?

Do your homework and come back, it takes thousands of volts of electric discharge to excite xenon atoms to produce light. A filament bulb is just a wire that is burning without consuming itself. The gaz that is inside a holgen bulb has no role in the light creation, all it does is replace O² which would make the wire consume itself.

Aftre doing a search, I don't even know where you got that info that nightbreaker halogen bulbs have xenon gaz in them...

Reflector lamps are better for halogen bulbs. That's why the non-xenon audi have reflectors, and xenons have projectors.

HALOGEN:
7513_st0320_043.jpg

XENON:
headlight.jpg

LED:
lead9-2012-audi-a6-30t-quattro-review.jpg

That's what fiat should have done.

So the best answer is fit HIDS! Mine is fine for the time being but when the nights draw in I might have a play.

Exactly, because the bravo has projectors, you can use the full potential of HID/Xenon lights without blinding other motorists.

:yeahthat:

But still not legal in some countries.

Are you telling me osram halogen bulbs are xenon?

No all Osram bulbs, but certain bulbs yes.

I've done my homework, year ago, some links with a quick search

http://www.uwkinetics.com/technology/lights-technology/xenon#.UeRHGZWvtpI

http://donklipstein.com/xeincand.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1215214

In short Xenon enables the filament in a filament bulb to burn higher/brighter without consuming itself, thus creating a better light output :idea:

nighbreakers are not xenon, their simple halogen bulbs.

Xenon is the name of the gaz that is used inside HID bulbs.

You can call them HID or XENON, you're still talking about the same thing and both are correct terms.

Most Easterly Pandas, stop confusing people. :rolleyes:

ZENON is used in both lamp types the High voltage is used to "light the arc" (think of welding) Old amber street lights are a type of HID as too are garage / warehouse lighting the colour not only comes from the gas but a "metal salt" in the envelope where the arc is lit.... eg sodium gives an orange light

Correct. However here in the UK you would also need the auto levelling lights and light washer jets to be legal :(

Yes and no. If the car was manufactured before 2010 then no as that regulation didn't come in until then and manufacturers were already fitting hids. Aftermarket kits aren't legal but if the car was made before '10 and was sold with hids (as the bravo was) and your install looks 'oem' it should be fine if the mot station even notice them. If it does get picked up you simply drop in a pair of standard bulbs.

Exactly, because the bravo has projectors, you can use the full potential of HID/Xenon lights without blinding other motorists.

:yeahthat:

But still not legal in some countries.

You have a right.

For European countries

97/28/EC

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31997L0028:en:NOT

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering.

Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45. (9)

In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.

:D

Yes and no. If the car was manufactured before 2010 then no as that regulation didn't come in until then and manufacturers were already fitting hids. Aftermarket kits aren't legal but if the car was made before '10 and was sold with hids (as the bravo was) and your install looks 'oem' it should be fine if the mot station even notice them. If it does get picked up you simply drop in a pair of standard bulbs.

:confused:

Light units have always had to be 'E' marked and type aproved, filament headlamps are only type approved for filament bulbs, so fitting a HID unit still won't technically be legal.

:confused:

Light units have always had to be 'E' marked and type aproved, filament headlamps are only type approved for filament bulbs, so fitting a HID unit still won't technically be legal.

No, I agree, aftermarket HID kit's aren't legal but not necessarily because of the washers/self leveling issue. There's always going to be a risk they may fail an MOT but it could be made very easy to reverse if necessary.

Reactions: get
I have a question that maybe you can anwser for me.
As the tuning/modification level isn't very high on the Dutch forum they can't anwser my question.

I can buy original Fiat Bravo Xenon headlights for €150,- a set. Is it posible to install those headlights without creating a error on youre board?computer.
Or is it possibleto reconfigure the computer to Xenon.

Have anyone done this before? Thanks for any info!
Hi
As promised I would reply here if the headlights would work en they do!
No error on the computer en now I got orginal Xenon headlights for €150,- a SET

If I can get my hands on more in the future mayb some people are interested?

O I will post a picture when I replaced them because atm they are not installed only 1 time connected. Haven't come around this job yet..
did you ever encounter a problem with the indicators? I did the same as you, but my indicators are not working. Funnily enough when I change only back to the original both unit’s indicators are working

Back