Technical Inner cv / drive shaft boot split

Currently reading:
Technical Inner cv / drive shaft boot split

Hello.

I had some grease under and around my gear box so investigated and found that I have a tear in my inner cv joint boot / drive shaft boot for the right side (not wheel side of the driveshaft).

Has anyone come across this?
Has anyone paid for a repair or done it themselves?
Do the generic split cv boot replacement kits work for this repair?

Thank you

I suggest replacing with a genuine boot, because the boot has an awkward shape where it mounts on to the tripode cup.

Should not be that hard to replace, will be much easier on a lift but can be dome on jack-stands.
You can remove the bottom pivot. then pull the whole steering knuckle out of the cup, then remove the circlip keeping the tripode on to the shaft, remove the tripode, slide on the new boot, put some grease in the cup, reinstall the tripode, then the circlip, more grease on the tripode, slide the tripode end back into the cup, put back the lower pivot, install clips on to the boot and you are done.

When i did it it took me about 2 hours.

Don't forget to CLEAN the cup and the tripod with a degreaser to remove all the dirt and the old grease.

Then find a grease for high temperature and pressure and fill the cup with the correct amount. I don't remember the correct NLGI grade right now but you can find it on your manual.

Do not buy any generic aftermarket kit.

You can clean and replace but if it's gone that far seriously think about replacing the whole driveshaft. A bit more expensive but easier and should be longer-lived

I've just had to do the same on my daughter's Corsa and used these guys Clicky

Straight forward job and seems good quality as far as I can tell

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back