General In need of a Barchetta (SUMP) HELP!!!

Currently reading:
General In need of a Barchetta (SUMP) HELP!!!

Here are a few pics of the sump project we undertook.

Managed to crack the old one and bought a 2nd hand Alfa sump to replace.

The one on the right is the dead one.....the one on the left is the 2nd hand Alfa one.

DSC00520.jpg

Dead sump :-(

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00518-1.jpg

Differences between the sumps are that the Alfa has a longer narrower resevoir to the rear of the sump, but this doesn't give it any clearance issues. I'm not sure whether the overall capacity is any less, also there's no baffle around the pickup in the Alfa sump. Potentially this could give rise to oil starvation issues in extremis, but a quick search has not revealed any oil starvation problems with Twin Sparks, so it seems an unlikely scenario.

The good point is that the Alfa sump seems slightly less prone to damage from underneath, as the bolts that sheared on the original are located slightly higher on the Alfa sump.

Just for Lee - Col de Petite St Bernard on the French Italian border:

DSCF0042a.JPG

Just for Lee - Col de Petite St Bernard on the French Italian border:

DSCF0042a.JPG

What a beauty!!!! Love 'em - I fell in love with the 928 while I was at school and have wanted one ever since - quite fancy a late GTS - but then I also love the 968 and would cut my right arm off the the CS................

3 weeks after buying the Barchetta I was offered a 20 y/o 924 with 60k, full Porsche s/h but needed a new door skin, otherwise spotless - guy wanted £400 for it and while I had the cash I could not justify another car - kicking myself now as the guy p/x'd it for £200 against a new car - a couple of weeks later it appeared with a new door skin and a price tag of 5.5k...........

Well, there's one new vocation you can scrub off your list......car dealer:D

Funny, that's one thing I do fancy!!!!!

Was watching the cash at the time, I have met the guy since and he regrets p/x-ing it as he feels the dealer 'shafted' him.

He wishes he had given it to me as he knows I would have gone to a good home!

(Note to self, when presented with a good opportunity take it)

I dabble a little with my business partner! across the road from me who works in a garage, sold three cars this week:)

I dabble a little with my business partner! across the road from me who works in a garage, sold three cars this week:)

Things are progressing (in a bad way), at work at the moment and it seems almost inevitable that I will find myself out of work at the end of October for a number of reasons (I am in a pool of 4 people of which my company only wants to retain 1 and 2 of the others are on maternity leave - a point of law means that they have to be offered the remaining position first!)........

I fancy a bit of a change in direction but cannot think what - would like to have a few things on the go at once...........just not sure what yet!

Ideas on a post card please....................:idea:

A big thanks to Dan, the Little Boat now has an Alfa Twin Spark sump, and the engine is running perfectly again without leaks. It is not identical to the Fiat sump, but more later when Stratis posts some photos.

It's worth bearing in mind that Twin Sparks are not exactly rare, whereas Punto HGTs and Bs are rather less common.

digging up an old thread here and hopefully 1 of the original posters will look and see it.

the alfa romeo sump used,

would that be the sump from the 156 1.8 t-spark?

thanks in advance for any replies

digging up an old thread here and hopefully 1 of the original posters will look and see it.

the alfa romeo sump used,

would that be the sump from the 156 1.8 t-spark?

thanks in advance for any replies

Yes, that should be fine, except it does foul the driveshaft slightly. You have to file down three areas and then all is well. Fit the sump losely, turn the passenger side wheel and it will mark the sump where you need to file.

You could use a grinding wheel if you're confident about not over doing it.

Back