Technical Impossible to locate and remove sidelights help

Currently reading:
Technical Impossible to locate and remove sidelights help

coupedummy

I am having an absolute mare trying to remove the passnger sidelights for changing,anyone have a picture of how they come out or any tips.
So far arch liner removed,batery tray half removed,wont budge anymore.

Ita a jtd model and due mot in the morning,any hlp appreciated.I can see the lights but cant get my fingers to the holders or even locate them.Help please

They're inside the main light pod, accessible from the rear after removing the waterproof flap. They are attached to black plastic holders with a tab for easy (ho-ho, stop you're killing me) insertion & removal.

Personally I use a pair of eBay forceps (like 250367324620) and a home-made dental mirror (2" mirror araldited at approx 30 degrees angle onto the end of a 50cm rod). That's fairly easy - you just patiently, carefully unplug the side-light, bring it up to where you can change the bulb (for an LED, so you never have to do it again!) and then reinsert.

Same approach works for the headlamps too, but with added complication for spring retainers.

hm.. if you're an oaf (like me :ROFLMAO:) just get the battery, fuse box and battery tray out for easy access.. the driver’s side can be done going in via the wheel arch (although it is hard to get the cover back on)

Sounds like the OP has tried most of that (and removed road wheel) although IT IS important to remove the heavy bolts holding the battery cage in place which then gets it well out of the way.

Never changed mine (still good after nearly 7 years (y)) so might have to resort to dropping bumper.

I certainly wouldn't entertain LED bulbs (unless really keen to repeat the whole exercise when you eventually refit the correct bulbs) as they seem nothing but trouble based on posts we see here (n)

parking lights are not on the failure warning system (i think) if that is the case the leds will cause no problems (drop the bumper?! :eek: surelly it is easier to get the battery tray out? all to their likes ;))

parking lights are not on the failure warning system (i think) if that is the case the leds will cause no problems (drop the bumper?! :eek: surelly it is easier to get the battery tray out? all to their likes ;))
Never had one go but I think you'll find they are.

I'm only suggesting bumper as a last resort (no experience of doing it that way yet but many say it's the best way - especially if changing both sides) :chin:

never had the front parking lights go.. but my rear parking lights gave the ghost (there was a defect on earlier stilos.. with the brake light burning the cluster out.. got one cluster replaced.. the other went after warranty was out.. so just fixed it best i could.. been working fine 2 years now) and those were not on the warning system (although the actual brake light is..) also had fogs go (pas side) that was not on the warning system either.. although this needs to be validated.. i would assume that having the front parking lights monitored without monitoring the rears is quite pointless (however, as the rear has 2 parking lights.. and one is integrated with the brake light.. grm can someone who had the front parking lights replaced confirm pls? This is getting me all excited ;))

parking lights are not on the failure warning system (i think)
Actually, they do seem to be, however it seems that both bulbs need to fail for it to react. 3 of the 4 front parking light bulbs are out on my car (haven't bothered to do anything about it yet), but the car only warns about the side where both bulbs are out. It beeps every time I start my car, which is rather annoying (though I've found out that pressing the "Menu" button is a quick way to clear the warning so that I don't have to wait for it to clear before I can access the trip computer).

Last edited:
you can just press 'ok' to clear the msg ;) thanks for that - it does make sense! And i’ve never had both rear parking lights fail on 1 side

Seems very logical it that is indeed how it works (y)

Pretty clever system really when you consider the car comes with twin parking lights to start with plus a warning system to tell you when the 2nd bulb fails.

Useful tip for the LED crowd too :D

Only fit ONE in each cluster and get none of those bulb failure messages :ROFLMAO:

Back