Technical Immobiliser problems

Currently reading:
Technical Immobiliser problems

neil r

Have a starting problem we think the immobby has packed up starts by towing but not on key only have blue key can i take immoby off completely the car is a marea 100 td 1.9 diesel t reg any help would be grateful thanks all:)

I assume by towing you mean like a bump start?
If it is I don't think it's the immobiliser as I belive it cuts fuel aswell as ignition although that will be a bit different on a diesel. Is the engine even attempting to turn and just not firing. Or does it appear to be completely dead?

Sounds like a starter motor problem rather than immobiliser, as that would normally not allow the ECU to fire the injectors.

Could be a low battery that does not have enough current capacity to turn the starter, but has enough to power the ECU (relatively low current, apart from the injector drivers).

Does it start using jump leads from another car?

Is 12V going to the starter motor?

we towed the car it started but was running rough and was knocking more than usual,the battery has been tested and is ok but when engine has been turned off will not start on key, key code light stays on cheers it will not start on jump leads:)

Last edited:
it wont jump start or start by key, but it will start if you bump it. that shows the immob can not be the problem since the engine definately cant bump start if the immob is on.

however it is odd that the key code light remains on, as that suggests the immob is actually staying on. when the key code light remains on, try switching the ignition off for a second, and then back on, if the light then goes out it means you probably have a clone of the red key rather than a blue key. (is it an original fiat key?)

personally i think you have either a fueling problem or a compression problem (sounds like fueling), there are plenty of possible causes for either. a diagnostic check is probably a good idea at this point.

Back