Technical I'm thinking of changing the Gearbox Oil

Currently reading:
Technical I'm thinking of changing the Gearbox Oil

pgainf

Greetings!

I'm thinking of changing the Gearbox Oil.
My Fiat is a Stilo 1.9 JTD 2003.
I read that it is 75w90, but it is really needed?
There is no schedule to change in the Fiat charts.

Will it make any difference?
A friend told me it is not done by the normal procedure.

Can someone give me instruction of how to do it?

Thanks

I would say, it will give a slightly "smooth" feeling when you change gears. Another reason why you should check gear box oil level, it might be lower than needed. It's not something that you need to change frequently like engine oil. But it should not be forgotten.

Lower gearbox oil level really stands out in winter, on cold start gear shifting is very tough like they are frozen, until the engine warms up, and the gears starts to shift properly. This is caused by lower oil level.

Now the changing. You'll need a special tool to transfer oil from bottle to a gearbox. It's like a syringe. You'll also need to keep the cars front and rear on the same level, meaning jacking up just the front wont do it. Under the car, on a gearbox you'll see two nuts, one is a bit higher another lower. The lower one is to empty the gearbox oil, upper one - to fill. First undo the upper one (to fill) sometimes its really hard to undo the bolts, so if you undo the lower one first, you might end unable to undo upper one, and without oil. :D
So.. empty the gearbox oil, clean the bolt, and tight it up, now fill new gearbox oil with a syringe (don't know how is that tool called) fill until the oil reaches the top nut. Tighten the top nut. That's it :)

Pictures below show the locations of the drain, level and filler plugs for the JTD gearbox.

Attachments

• Gbox Drain & Level Plugs.JPG
    Gbox Drain & Level Plugs.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Gbox Filler Plug 3.JPG
    Gbox Filler Plug 3.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 67
Back