Technical Ignition light on unless I rev the engine

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition light on unless I rev the engine

Just re started Little Ava after a few months of being laid up after a carb rebuild & house move. I used a battery boost which I have used before as the battery was low, however when it started I didn’t disconnect it immediately as I should. Now the ignition light is glowing, it dims when I increase the revs. The engine is a 652cc with an alternator & electronic ignition. Is it possible I have screwed up the alternator? All advise would be welcome. Go on I can take it!:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
Barry

Get a multi-meter on it before your worry too much. See what the alternator is putting out at different revs. If it's something as simple as the voltage regulator, it's a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.

Apologies. Ensure it's set to DC mode and the scale that supports 14 volts (usually there's a 20V range). With the car off, put the red lead on the battery positive post and the black on a good ground. That should read ~12v, indicating a charged battery.

Have a helper crank/try to start the engine and see where the voltage drops to. It shouldn't go to zero. If it does, it won't crank, but that's a sign of a bad battery and, since it's starting for you, shouldn't be an issue.

So, start 'er up and let it idle. See what the output voltage is - it should be ~11-13 volts at idle. Rev it up a little, nothing crazy, if you have a tach, 1500-2000 is more than sufficient, and see what the voltage reads. If it's not a steady 14V, you've got an alternator problem.

That's the quick way to test it. There's a specific way to test the voltage regulator, but let me search around for that process (unless someone chimes in first).

Thanks Matt, will give it a go later this week, I hope its not the alternator as it looks a nightmare to remove E80ABA54-25D0-4DA6-8DEE-058D41AB8369.jpeg
Barry

Back