Technical If you have adBlue tank/Ducato 21 plate then please read this!

Currently reading:
Technical If you have adBlue tank/Ducato 21 plate then please read this!

albirto

Just had to spend £1800 to fix this as 4mth out of Warranty. My check adblue system/start stop unavailable/amber engine management light/mileage to stop countdown came on afew weeks ago. Very long story cut short but found adblue leaking underneath and the outflow pipe has snapped off. So its off to Fiat (once I found a Fiat professional garage who could look this side of 2024!) thinking might just be covered under the warranty. Just out by 4 mths and only 16K miles. Dealer said "ah yes there is a 'service news' memo about this problem". They have now fitted me a new tank/outflow pipe and a new adblue cap! Thats the issue, the caps get blocked creating a vacuum in the tank which collapses internally damaging sensors in it etc and maybe causing the pipe to break as mine did! The cause is simply the blue filler cap. If when you take your cap off you can hear the vacumn release/suction then you need to sort/change your cap!! The new one is comletely different. Fiat customer services didn't wanna know me! Top mechanic at the dealer ( I wont name but they have been superb and very sympathetic) was telling me that Fiat have now merged with Peugeot and have got rid of lots of Fiat tech advisors at the top/customer service teams and obviously customer relations/good will dept! Peugeot seem to have the upper hand, Oh and seem hell bent on losing the fiat franchises. I will fight this one (dunno how just yet) Wish me luck! Gutted to say the least.
Also told not to overfill adblue and told wait for warning light then fill with 5 litres/ maybe 6 at a push or sensors can go crazy/garage reset job! Dont top up for the hell of it! Images show a new tank and also the point where my pipe snapped off. The new tank cap is now pictured

Attachments

• adblue tank.jpeg
    adblue tank.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7818.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7944.jpg
    IMG_7944.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 167
If there's a service memo, of a known problem, they should be helping with these costs. The loss of Fiat customer service will make little difference, as they were famous for saying no to everything anyway.
4 months out of warranty seems like a short time to you, but is a long time for a vehicle manufacturer.
Goodwill contributions will depend a lot on service history. It needs to have been serviced, on the button, at Fiat dealerships, to have any chance of a contribution. Missed, late or performed outside the franchise network, then you'll struggle to get anything.
If you've had all the services done on time at franchised dealers, I'd be fighting for parts costs. Don't expect more.

Good call - I have a 21 plate Ducato with an adblu cap that looks the same as that. Just taken the cap off and tried to blow through it but can't! So I have drilled a little hole right through the centre.
Bad luck with the warranty. I've just had to take mine in for a new particle (soot) sensor. They tried to say its a motorhome so the warranty ran out after 2 years. But I pointed out its still registered as a van ('Light Goods Vehicle') so the warranty is 3 years. Then they tried to say its got no service records. I replied I serviced it myself. So I got it done free under warranty. But I had to take it back to the Fiat 'professional' van dealer where I bought it from. No one else wanted to know. 'we only do motorhomes' .... 'we'll call you back' (which they don't) etc
My understanding is that they don't like warranty jobs because the hourly rate is less than they charge punters, and they have the hassle of claiming it from Fiat. Even the Fiat 'Professional' dealer I bought it from was saying 'isn't there a Fiat dealer nearer to you'? I replied 'you didn't ask that when I wanted to buy a new van!'

Last edited:
If there's a service memo, of a known problem, they should be helping with these costs. The loss of Fiat customer service will make little difference, as they were famous for saying no to everything anyway.
4 months out of warranty seems like a short time to you, but is a long time for a vehicle manufacturer.
Goodwill contributions will depend a lot on service history. It needs to have been serviced, on the button, at Fiat dealerships, to have any chance of a contribution. Missed, late or performed outside the franchise network, then you'll struggle to get anything.
If you've had all the services done on time at franchised dealers, I'd be fighting for parts costs. Don't expect more.
All good timing with Fiat/servicing etc since new thanks

So are you saying a van conversion (Benimar) should have a 3 year warranty?

Good call - I have a 21 plate Ducato with an adblu cap that looks the same as that. Just taken the cap off and tried to blow through it but can't! So I have drilled a little hole right through the centre.
Bad luck with the warranty. I've just had to take mine in for a new particle (soot) sensor. They tried to say its a motorhome so the warranty ran out after 2 years. But I pointed out its still registered as a van ('Light Goods Vehicle') so the warranty is 3 years. Then they tried to say its got no service records. I replied I serviced it myself. So I got it done free under warranty. But I had to take it back to the Fiat 'professional' van dealer where I bought it from. No one else wanted to know. 'we only do motorhomes' .... 'we'll call you back' (which they don't) etc
My understanding is that they don't like warranty jobs because the hourly rate is less than they charge punters, and they have the hassle of claiming it from Fiat. Even the Fiat 'Professional' dealer I bought it from was saying 'isn't there a Fiat dealer nearer to you'? I replied 'you didn't ask that when I wanted to buy a new van!'
The photo is of the new/replaced cap

So are you saying a van conversion (Benimar) should have a 3 year warranty?
Yes - if its still registered as a 'Light Goods Vehicle' like mine
Mine was registered May2021 and I got a new soot sensor (online price about £200) fitted free last month under warranty at the Fiat Professional dealer where I bought it
But, apparently Motorhomes are only guaranteed by Fiat for 2 years
- Thats what I was told by the Fiat approved Motorhome dealers I contacted.

Edit - just looked at the Fiat Professional Website link which was saying 3 years warranty when I looked last month - but now its 5 years

I can only guess this is because, from what I have seen, Motorhomers tend to be a lot more fastidious than van drivers
eg demanding their steel wheels be repainted under warranty due to specks of rust.
Wheras the average whitevanman just keeps going till it conks out :)

Last edited:
Yes - if its still registered as a 'Light Goods Vehicle' like mine
Mine was registered May2021 and I got a new soot sensor (online price about £200) fitted free last month under warranty at the Fiat Professional dealer where I bought it
But, apparently Motorhomes are only guaranteed by Fiat for 2 years
- Thats what I was told by the Fiat approved Motorhome dealers I contacted.

Edit - just looked at the Fiat Professional Website link which was saying 3 years warranty when I looked last month - but now its 5 years

I can only guess this is because, from what I have seen, Motorhomers tend to be a lot more fastidious than van drivers
eg demanding their steel wheels be repainted under warranty due to specks of rust.
Wheras the average whitevanman just keeps going till it conks out :)
Ok but mine is a campervan conversion not a motorhome. Maybe thats good news then but why didnt the garage say its 3 yrs?

Ok but mine is a campervan conversion not a motorhome. Maybe thats good news then but why didnt the garage say its 3 yrs?
My understanding is the standard warranty was 2 years, with an additional Fiat Professional 'dealer warranty' of one year
My phone call to Fiat confirmed I have 3 years warranty in total
(apparently current vans have 3 years plus 2 years)
What taxation class does it say on the V5?
Mine says 'Light Goods Vehicle' and I bought it from the Fiat Professional dealer as a plain van - they couldn't say its a motorhome because they didn't sell any.
You might be struggling if you bought it already fitted out from a motorhome dealer who never mentioned the additional one year Fiat Professional 'dealer warranty'
PS: I should add that the Fiat approved motorhome dealers I rang first (because they are geographically nearer than the dealer I bought it from) both said Fiat motorhome warranty is 2 years. Soon as I said it was a van (so its 3 years) that gave them an excuse to turn the job down 'we only do motorhomes' - even though one had advertised servicing for vans.
The Fiat Professional dealer I bought it from could only try and get out of it by saying lt looked like a motorhome - but I have the V5 they gave me saying 'Light Goods Vehicle', and they know I bought it from them as a van. So I maintained its a van (loaded with furniture) and they did the job under warranty.
Having it registered as an LGV is a pain sometimes - the lower speed limits usually results in my having an empty road in front and a queue behind. I'm sorry for those stuck behind me but its not my fault.
But having it registered as an LGV has some advantages.

Last edited:
My understanding is the standard warranty was 2 years, with an additional Fiat Professional 'dealer warranty' of one year
My phone call to Fiat confirmed I have 3 years warranty in total
(apparently current vans have 3 years plus 2 years)
What taxation class does it say on the V5?
Mine says 'Light Goods Vehicle' and I bought it from the Fiat Professional dealer as a plain van - they couldn't say its a motorhome because they didn't sell any.
You might be struggling if you bought it already fitted out from a motorhome dealer who never mentioned the additional one year Fiat Professional 'dealer warranty'
PS: I should add that the Fiat approved motorhome dealers I rang first (because they are geographically nearer than the dealer I bought it from) both said Fiat motorhome warranty is 2 years. Soon as I said it was a van (so its 3 years) that gave them an excuse to turn the job down 'we only do motorhomes' - even though one had advertised servicing for vans.
The Fiat Professional dealer I bought it from could only try and get out of it by saying lt looked like a motorhome - but I have the V5 they gave me saying 'Light Goods Vehicle', and they know I bought it from them as a van. So I maintained its a van (loaded with furniture) and they did the job under warranty.
Having it registered as an LGV is a pain sometimes - the lower speed limits usually results in my having an empty road in front and a queue behind. I'm sorry for those stuck behind me but its not my fault.
But having it registered as an LGV has some advantages.
Thanks for all that. Food for thought!

You need to dig out the paperwork you were given of course, even then its still confusing
They have a standard warranty and an additional 'dealer warranty'
Which seems to be how they are able to give the extra warranty for commercial vans as they are bought from different dealers
I wouldn't hold out much hope if it was bought as a motorhome from a motorhome dealer because both Fiat approved motorhome dealers I rang said my guarantee ran out after 2 years
It was only after contacting Fiat and the 'Fiat Professional' (commercial van) dealer I bought it from they admitted it was guaranteed for 3
They paid the full cost of replacing the particulate matter sensor - they said it is not a recall (as I read on another forum) but it is a known issue
It stops the computer measuring the soot being emitted, which brings on the engine management light (MOT fail) and the message 'start stop inoperative'
Since both my cheapo code readers came up with no fault codes I wrongly assumed it was caused by the extra batteries I had added, and ignored the engine management light. But then with the MOT looming it was reaching the stage where I had to do something about it.
But dig out your own paperwork because I'm not certain - I lost interest once they admitted mine is guaranteed for 3 years.

Last edited:
Back