Technical Idler Roller

Currently reading:
Technical Idler Roller

Don't know if everyone has these on thier Tipos but on some models (one with carbs for sure) there is an Idler Roller on the belt that the Alternator, Water Pump, Power Steering are connected to.

My question is is this Idler Roller meant to Spin or is it meant to be stationary?

Trancendental said:
Don't know if everyone has these on thier Tipos but on some models (one with carbs for sure) there is an Idler Roller on the belt that the Alternator, Water Pump, Power Steering are connected to.

My question is is this Idler Roller meant to Spin or is it meant to be stationary?

Am I missing somehting to your question? Because if it didnt spin the belt would burn out on the idler? :)

Tipos with power steering have the multi rib belt and idler setup.

SteveNZ said:
Am I missing somehting to your question? Because if it didnt spin the belt would burn out on the idler? :)

Tipos with power steering have the multi rib belt and idler setup.

Thats what I was thinkning. my question will make more sense when I explain this (wee bit long)

When I got my Tipo, I never knew what any "special parts" under the bonnet did. made sure it was serviced and timing belt changed as thats all I knew had to be done on me new (7 previous owners) car.

Few days later the Idler Pully Made a funny sound and fell off at 60mph on a Dual Carriageway. It was never found and I never saw what it looked like.

When this happened the power steering, water pump and alternator stopped cause the belt was now slack (read "off" but still intact)

I had broken down far from home and the AA towed me to the nearest Garage. The Garage had my car for nearly a month as Fiat kept sending a Large size belt but the garage fixing it didn't know about the Idler Pully as it was missing and I didn't know either so he kept phoning me telling me Fiat keep sending the wrong belt.

He then just used a smaller belt and I was driving fine on that up until a few days ago when my Alternator died and a Garage fitted the Idler Pully and larger belt after replacing the Alternator. What I've noticed is that it doesn't look like its spinning and I'm not sure if its meant to because it is a very smooth roller and the word "Idler" kind of means to slow down? :confused:

Anyway when I turn on all me electrics at night the engine idle speed drops dramitacally by about 300rpm where as before without this pully it only dropped maybe 50rpm.

So thats why I asked is it meant to spin or not, I was thinking of the heat build up on a long journey and didn't want the belt to snap leaving me stranded again.

Also slightyly off topic but, without this pully, technically, the engine should have less friction to deal with and should run smoother and accelerate easier?

The idler is a bearing. The center is fixed, you can probably see this not moving. The outside of the bearign will move with the belt.

The friction involved with the idler is so small it wont be measureable.

Idler Roller, What does it do?

Does anyone know what purpose this Roller Serves? I want to remove my one now, Tipo seems to be drinking excessive amounts of petrol and when electrics go on the idle drop is too great to be able to balance day time and night time engine speeds.

It worked fine without it for over 2 years, should I remove it again or is there something I should know about?

It will make the belts wrap around the pullies better, wihtout it there is less belt on the pully. It may also be a tension adjuster.

SteveNZ said:
It will make the belts wrap around the pullies better, wihtout it there is less belt on the pully. It may also be a tension adjuster.
What if I use a smaller length belt like the one that was on there before? I thought the Alternator could be adjusted for tension.

I'm just thinking is there a major positive need for it cause although it sounds nice (like a Turbo Spool when you go fast) it is pissin' me off a wee bit (n) maybe I should give it time to settle in, its just at the moment its drinking petrol like a biatch - 20 miles on a full tank.

Yes, you can remove it if you like.
Yes, the alternator can be used to adjust the belt

There must be some problem with it becasue they should not make a noise or use more fuel.

Thanks Stevie :D you da man :cool:

I Will get dismantling... or pay someone else to do it.

NOTE: To others that have an idler roller, your Tipo is more reliable without one as they have a tendancy to fall off and litterally leave you hanging.. with no belt on the power steering, water pump or alternator you'll need a tow truck or spare small belt to continue your journey.

to answer your question:-
all tipos with power steering have an idler pulley. its there to help take the strain off the power steering pump. you can use a non PS belt but you are putting a lot of strain on the pump. to stop the nuts coming loose, it should be thread locked. the tension of the belt is important. too tight and it will be noisey like it is now.
the regulator on the alternator might be faulty or wrong type or you may have a resistance in the wiring. a poor regulator will allow to drop the revs when under load [lights etc].
your fuel consumption is another issue. you have reported carb problems before. i stated previously that your fast idle needed setting up right. the bad fuel consumption is down to poor carb set up. this needs addressing. please use a idler pulley.:)

Do you have different Tipo's to us? because the PS belt is seperate and runs directly off the water pump. The multi rib belt would have no affect on the power steering. However I would agree to use the idler pully, I dont see the need to remove it.

sumplug said:
the regulator on the alternator might be faulty or wrong type or you may have a resistance in the wiring. a poor regulator will allow to drop the revs when under load [lights etc].
The Alternator is new and is more powerful then the standard 55amp alt, I ask for a bigger one just incase I do sounds and they fitted a 65amp I thought the drain would be less on a more powerful alt.

sumplug said:
your fuel consumption is another issue. you have reported carb problems before. i stated previously that your fast idle needed setting up right. the bad fuel consumption is down to poor carb set up. this needs addressing. please use a idler pulley.:)
The carb issue I fixed a long time ago, I did what you said and it was running like on off the production line Tipo... just not as fast as one :p

The sound I'm getting is not "noisy" you know when you watch Touring cars and the camera goes inside the cabin with the driver and you hear that well tuned whirring sound of the engine? thats the sort of sound I get when I put my foot down... still cant get passed 110mph though :p

Back