idle problem

Currently reading:
idle problem

T

tom

i have an 80 sx 1.2 and annoyingly stalls every time i pull up at the lights. It just wont catch the idle it drops below 500rpm and cuts out. this is when the engine management light comes on. i have a donor car which i can swap parts over but i am a novice with a haynes manual what would anyone do and what order? i would appreciate any help anyone is willing to give. Many thanks in advance :)

Chances are it's the stepper motor (idle control valve). I had this issue when I had a 1.2 but didn't get around to fixing it. If you look where the throttle body is there is a black housing on top of it, swap this with the one in your donor and it should be ok, providing the donor one doesn't have the same problem. It is a very common problem with the 1.2 but is expensive if you go to fiat, there is a guide on FiatForum about reconditioning the stepper motor

https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-brava-marea-guides/268319-fiat-1-2-16v-stepper-motor.html

brilliant thanks i will try this tomorrow cos the donar car got no engine issues part from dints and a poorly exhaust haha. will post and let you no if successful which fingers crossed it will be :)