Idle issue on 1.8GT (HLX)

Currently reading:
Idle issue on 1.8GT (HLX)

D

David

I have read the posts regarding idle issues but would like to explain the problem I have..

Every now and then (when the engine is warm) my car idles at about 1500 revs. When revving the car up to about 6000rpm this seems to return the revs back to normal. I have noticed that the temperature guage when driving is always on 1/4 which I think is too low. I live in Italy and have spoken to a mechanic who has a 1.8 to dismantle so I am just looking for someone who knows about this problem so I can be sure what to tell him to replace or regulate... I could just leave it up to my mechanic but I trust more the experience and knowledge of the members of this forum.

Many thanks.

Hi,

I have had exactly the same the problem.

It was my thermostat. Strangely, it was opening too early. They cost around £35, and are not too difficult to replace.

William

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought it might be something with the thermostat. I will get the mechanic to take the thermostat from the 1.8 that he has... Hopefully it will work better than mine!

Thanks again Will.

I would get a brand knew one. I belive its a very common fault. You will also save an hour or 2 taking it off another engine.

You will be able to get one from a motor factor or car shop. They are not expensive. You will also need to get some new jublie or hose clips. These cost pence, or a few Euros!

Oh yes, and some antifrezze.

William