Marea Weekend HLX 20v

Currently reading:
Marea Weekend HLX 20v

D

Dark Lurker

hi there. i recently bought one of these after deciding on a change from the xsara VTS i've had for over four years.

in many ways it's pretty much the same thing, i felt straight at home in the plasticky rattly yet well equipped interior, the handling is decent but not quite on par with the xsara, acceleration is not too bad either considering i've gone from a coupe to an estate with 10bhp less.

one thing i can't get my head round is the fuel consumption, the xsara did 30mpg with mixed driving and i once averaged 48mpg on a trip to scotland, i know the marea weighs a bit more but engine wise it's pretty similar and yet i'm getting about 26mpg average and no more than 31mpg on a run.

my question to you guys is, is this just the way it is or is there something wrong with mine i.e. a faulty sensor or a fuel leak somewhere? some feedback on what sort of mpg other people are getting from the 2.0 20v engine would be very helpful.

Thats about right. You do have an extra cylinder remember.

It should go like hot snot tho... Easy sub 10sec 0-60. Might need a new Maff sensor tho.. Common prob across the range.... Other problem is the engine note, it must be driven at over 4000rpm & that red line is a target ;)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg

i'm sure it would do 0-60 in about 8 seconds but i don't like doing full on standing starts in something i can't afford to fix. axle hop is really bad if i spin the wheels, feels like the car is going to fall apart.

does the MAF sensor make it eat fuel then? i would have thought it would just run like ****. MAP sensor went in the xsara and it just kept cutting out.

regarding the noise, i've got a K&N on it and i think it sounds best at 2-3000rpm, seems a bit quiet after that. the xsara made a nice grumble at the same kind of revs but then went crazy after 5000, i'm assuming that's just because this is a less 'cammy' engine.