how to set up spray gun

Currently reading:
how to set up spray gun

what made you go for a gravity fed sprayer?

imo they're more difficult to use.

because greater air pressure is needed to atomise the paint on a conventional gun. High Volume Low Pressure guns work better using a gravity fed system. HVLP = less air pressure, less over spray and better control. ;)

Is down to choice but most sprayers use gravity fed guns. :)

Thanks for setting all the terms straight, Bridges. The problem is that the term 'lacquer' gets used there to mean the clear-coat, and that is why I was originally confused (over here, 'lacquer' means 'any paint that dries by evaporation', such as what you call 'cellulose' - we don't have that term here).

The other notable difference is that the 2k-system basecoat that I use (DeBeer, which is Dutch) has no hardener. Therefore, the basecoat is not 2k and is thinned 50/50 - the paint shop calls it a 'lacquer' - see, more confusion! :)

So your post can remain as the definitive, err, definitions (y)

-Alex

Last edited:
CAn we see your work on this subject Dave...

I am looking for some good manual for adjusting the hvlp gun on google and your post comes up....so I would have some questions on this subject.;)

Well I need to know a lot:)

For start I have a problem with adjusting the air pressure.

Components: 8/24 compressor, HVLP spray gun made in China...I have googled and googled on this subject but didnt find the answer I was looking for.

Air pressure be adjusted to lets say 40 psi-on the gun, and 90 psi on the compressor right? On my compressor I have 2 manometers - for two adapters, also have one valve that regulates the pressure on the left adapter (this I presume)...if i set that valve to lats say 90 psi than i have the problem adjusting the pressure on the gun (I bought air regulator and fitted it at the and of the gun). If I turn the regulator down the air comes out (regulator has a little hole in it). Why cant I regulate this on the gun, also a have a air knob the gun. Look at the picture.

DSC0001512.JPG

How do adjust all of the components in the system???

thanks to Bridges and his advices I have managed to fix problem with my air pressure (faulty air regulator).

So i have another question regarding viscosity. How to make it right? I dont have viscosity cup so I need advice, how should it look when you mix it. How is it suppose to run of the stick that I am using to mix material. Drops or is it suppose to leak?

When mixing paint you need to follow the manufacturers guide lines.

I mix paint I use paint mixing cups which show the mixing ratio's.

What paint type are you using, 2k?

Bridges

At the moment I am spraying wooden door in my house. Paint is on the oil base (I hope you use the same term in England). And manufacturers guide says put 10% thinner on the amount of paint you are using. That all.... Sadly.

I havent got any viscosity cup (Ford, Zinc etc.) so i must do it "by the eye".

So my question is how is the mixed paint suppose to "run" of the mixing stick?

i dunno
0.5 i think it says on it i would have to look

it can be varied to paint diffrent amounts ie alot of paint and nothing

the nozzles on spray cuns controls the amount of paint flow, you can alter air pressure and spray pattern but nozzle size is critical
1.3 is normal and I use a 1.4 on my lacquer gun, although they are HVLP.
think 1.8 on a suction feed gun

can pick up guns like this for £20 ;)
remember not contaminating and applying paint with precission is essential.

Back