Changing colour - yellow to black

Currently reading:
Changing colour - yellow to black

How to go about this ? Can I do it myself ?

Not unless you've spent years perfecting the art of spraying... Maybe a 3-4 year apprenticeship followed by a few years experience. Then there's all the gear; compressor, quality guns, mixing equipment, oven etc. And the prep.

Giving an old banger or a beaten up van a quick blow over to cover up the fact it's a patchwork quilt on wheels is one thing... any kind of decent paint job is something completely different. - Black is one of the hardest colours to paint at all well; even for experienced professionals.

Price-wise... Wraps are about £1500-£2K upwards for a small-medium van...

Last edited:
Not unless you've spent years perfecting the art of spraying... Maybe a 3-4 year apprenticeship followed by a few years experience. Then there's all the gear; compressor, quality guns, mixing equipment, oven etc. And the prep.

Giving an old banger or a beaten up van a quick blow to cover up the fact it's a patchwork quilt on wheels over is one thing... any kind of decent paint job is something completely different. - Black is one of the hardest colours to paint at all well; even for experienced professionals.

Price-wise... Wraps are about £1500-£2K upwards for a small-medium van...
I was trying to sugar coat it a bit! 🤣🤣🤣

I was trying to sugar coat it a bit! 🤣🤣🤣

...One could certainly try that at home ;) maybe using some sort of epoxy lacquer to make it stick; should result in something that looks like a sponge finger on wheels; some might say (in a Jeremy Clarkson voice) a 'a tasty motor' - with a nice cup of tea at least. This strategy would almost-certainly be successful in drawing attention away from the sags, runs and ripples that an inexperienced sprayer with cheap equipment working on the drive will produce.

Has the added advantage that the local cats and dogs will find it useful to scratch their posteriors on if we get a nice hot summer...

Last edited:
How to go about this ? Can I do it myself ?
As Matt says, black is hard to get right, it looks great when it’s applied perfectly on a perfect surface but I would agree it’s certainly not a DIY job.
Also bear in mind any dirt shows up much more on black than the lighter colours so unless you have the time and inclination to keep it clean think carefully before you go ahead.

Back