how to resurface a cylinder head yourself

Currently reading:
how to resurface a cylinder head yourself

My money's on that particleboard / sandpaper backing not being all that 'flat'. The most he'll be able to achieve on an area of 20mm x 20mm by hand is around 0.25mm, it will be all over the place on a plate of that size! Note a 4 thou warp is 0.1mm, and it's accuracy in this that kills it!

I wouldnt trust anything other than a well calibrated, high speed heavy milling machine at that sort of tolerance.

its a good idea, but tbh its alot easier to wack it into a machine shop who'll do it cheap for you :)

for me my local is 24 + Vat = about £29 / £30

I can drop it off - pick it up after a sub done and dusted :)

Ziggy

i pay 20 but you have to dust it yourself :p we used to use wet and dry on a mirror to do single cylinder 2 stroke heads you lay mirror on table lay wet n dry on that and rub head on it, but wouldn't waste time trying to do any thing bigger by hand.

we used to use wet and dry on a mirror to do single cylinder 2 stroke heads you lay mirror on table lay wet n dry on that and rub head on it, but wouldn't waste time trying to do any thing bigger by hand.

That method works. I've lapped smaller stuff in a similar way. You can equally use metal but the issue in all cases is the flatness of the surfaces that are being rubbed together - a block of 18mm ply will be all over the show compared to a piece of glass or a milled honing block.

Back