Styling How to protect my new baby from the birdies?

Currently reading:
Styling How to protect my new baby from the birdies?

ian85

Just signed up to this site on returning from the dealer after placing my order for a 1.2 Sport in Bossa Nova White. Spent 3 months trying to persuade myself that I shouldnt but I just couldnt resist!!

All his pitch on guardx for which £250 seemed a bit excessive got me thinking about how I'm going to protect my paintwork from the birdies (I work in a seaside town). Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this kind of thing or any tips on products etc.
thanks

i got offered supaguard for ONLY £199 :eek:

i'm just going to do it myself with a bit of auto glym, so it might be about £6!

i don't have any experience with guardx but the product does make sense & i was quite convinced by the sales talk for supaguard, but cannot justify the price at all, some sort of wax will maybe do the trick

You can buy supaguard of the net, check out ebay, and apply it yourself.

I bought a good carnuba wax and applied that as soon as I got the car. I used Dodo Juice which was about £32 for a jar which should give at least half a dozen coatings.

You can build it up in layers as well if you want. As long as the paintwork is protected with a good quality wax then you should be fine. As soon as you see bird dung on the car rinse it off asap and apply some wax to the area to build up the protection again.

I think thats a majority vote for Dodo Juice then! Going to make sure I have it to apply ASAP after I pick it up.

thanks all

I agree. If you're really that bothered than get the front edge of your bonnet, your lights and your bumper covered with a protective film like this. Yes they do have it available for the 500 ;)

http://www.ventureshield.com

Trouble is to protect the car properly it costs almost £500 for the 500 fitted & it's not easy fitting it yourself.

I had it on a VW R32 & got fed up of people telling me I had a line across the bonnet! To be fair it did stop the stone chips but it still didn't stop the small dents that the bigger rocks make.

It's seems a fact of life with modern water base paints that a front end respray is required every 25K miles or so.

A great way to reduce stone damage & improve road safety is to keep a sensible distance from the car in front, makes a world of difference to the damage.

Trouble is to protect the car properly it costs almost £500 for the 500 fitted & it's not easy fitting it yourself.

I had it on a VW R32 & got fed up of people telling me I had a line across the bonnet! To be fair it did stop the stone chips but it still didn't stop the small dents that the bigger rocks make.

It's seems a fact of life with modern water base paints that a front end respray is required every 25K miles or so.

A great way to reduce stone damage & improve road safety is to keep a sensible distance from the car in front, makes a world of difference to the damage.

What's cheaper? A respray or ventureshield?

Personally that's one of the first things I'd do if I got a new car. Get the bumper and bonnet protected.

I think keeping a distance from the car in front also helps with safety too as well ;)

for protection against bird **** is a difficult one i'd say no wax/ sealent can offer 100% protection your best bet is to remove it as soon as possible....

I keep a bottle of quick Detail spray and a couple of microfiber cloths for cleaning up the bird mess

Don't bother with the guard X or superguard

If it was my car i'd

washi it really well with a strong mix of all purpose cleaner (daisy from tesco works well) to remove as much existing products/ transit wax as possible

then rinse very well.

clay it,

polish it with Super Resin Polish,

give it 2 coats of Extra Gloss Protection (synthetic sealent) with an hours curing time before rubbing off then an hour to harden then another coat leave an hour and buff off

then follow it up with a decent wax if you dont fancy doing it too often look at the collinite paste wax range

then use a decent car shampoo on it in the future...

Have a read of this save me typing it all out again ;)

https://www.fiatforum.com/car-care/135425-do-new-cars-need-polished-waxed.html?p=1418303

I'd got as far as those being around about the right products but exactly how many coates of what to apply etc was still a bit of a mystery.

Going to put together a birdie kit on monday to keep in the secret passenger seat storage thingy.

thanks for everyone's advice
Ian

Back