How To Polish!

Currently reading:
How To Polish!

Hi, I hav just brought my first car (a white GP Sporting). I am hoping to keep the paintwork looking its best. I hav looked at many threads on this forum about how to keep ur paint lookin gd. Many people say polishin is a good method. Could some1 tell me what products i will need to polish my car and how to do it. Cheers.

Where to start, so many different types to buy. Simple combination would be to go to halfords and buy Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection and just follow the instructions on the tins, they're designed to work together and complement one another. They have a 3 for 2 offer at the moment, if you've got any black plastic then Autoglym Bumper Care is a worthy addition.

on a car as young as a GP you only need to use some polish or wax 3 times a year to keep it looking great. i prefer carnauba based waxes because they last longer.

And if your washing it with a sponge or a car wash brush STOP the paint on the GP is as soft as s**t get a lambswool type mitt and use the guide

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

and this for polishing should get you started..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4

as thepottleflump has said the Auto glym is good and easy to use (if you leave teh EGP on for more than an hour providing it stays dry it comes off much easyer than leaving it for the stated 30 minutes..

www.detailedobsession.com

Everything you could ever need is on here.

You have new paint with hardly an swirls as yet so start as you mean to go on:

Get a wash mitt (for washing abviously)
Waffle weave microfibre towels (for drying)
Microfibre cloths (for polishing and such)
A good glass product
A good (preferably carnuba based) wax. clearkote carnuba moose wax is very good.

Anything by 'poorboys' is good.

The way you wash is just as important as the products you buy.

The problem with sites like that is there is often no middle ground between people who wash their car in a car wash - and people who spend £1000s and days cleaning every little bit of their car..

Most owners just want to know how to clean their car cheaply and quickly without leaving water marks or scratches.

The problem with sites like that is there is often no middle ground between people who wash their car in a car wash - and people who spend £1000s and days cleaning every little bit of their car..

Most owners just want to know how to clean their car cheaply and quickly without leaving water marks or scratches.

The best thing to do then is just get an all in one polish and sealant, (poorboys do one).

he asked how to best polish his car and what to use to keep his paintwork in good condition, and that site has alot of good quality products which will not break the bank, considering a good polish will last a long time you are probably saving money or breaking even.

That's why I would recommend Autoglym products, they aren't that expensive, readily available, have a product for all everyday requirements, are easy to use and produce good results. More than adequate for anyone but the most obbessive.

In my opinion the detailed obbession website is primarily an internet business selling care car products, while detailing world is heavily trader based; they even charge people for using the personal classifieds, fortunately sites like FiatForum have not gone down this route.

Last edited:
As said earlier, get yourself:
  • A washmitt
  • 2 buckets
  • A decent chamois (Autoglym do a synthetic one)
  • A brush for your wheels
  • Some microfibre cloths/application pads
  • Autoglym bodywork conditioner
  • Autoglym super resin polish
  • Autoglym extra/ultra (cant remember which!) gloss protection
A foam lance and a wax ontop of the AG EGP are optional, I find a coating of EGP lasts ages!
Of course there are other products you can substitute in for the AG stuff, megs have an excellent range for example.

When I bought my first brand new car, a Cinq Sporting I washed it regularly using just sponges and car shampoo, then leathering it off. I polished it at least once a month with Simoniz hard wax... its in a yellow round tin and it shone like a new pin always.
Never ever got the Seicento or New Panda to shine as well as that Cinq, and used autoglym on them.

When I bought my first brand new car, a Cinq Sporting I washed it regularly using just sponges and car shampoo, then leathering it off. I polished it at least once a month with Simoniz hard wax... its in a yellow round tin and it shone like a new pin always.
Never ever got the Seicento or New Panda to shine as well as that Cinq, and used autoglym on them.

Microfibre mitts etc won't necessarily effect the shine on new paintwork.

I bet you had plenty of swirls ;)

Back