How to get cheap insurance?

Currently reading:
How to get cheap insurance?

My eldest's insurance dropped from £5k to £2.5k after pass plus

Just spent some time doing my quote there with and without pass plus.

Insurance Quotes were with same car, same location and same specifications. Car = 1.4 Grande Active

Comprehensive -

Without Pass Plus - 5976.24
With Pass Plus - £5976.24
Raw Saving - £0
Actual Saving - MINUS £113 ( for price of pass plus test )

-----

3rd F&T

Without Pass Plus - £2836.33
With Pass Plus - £2836.33
Raw Saving - £0
Actual Saving - MINUS 113 (£113 Price for Pass Plus)

For me it actually put an extra £113 price onto the total amount of money I pay for my car.

My eldest's insurance dropped from £5k to £2.5k after pass plus

You say pass plus has cost you money but have forgotten to take into account the other benefits it's done for you ;)

What are those benefits. The only benefit I can imagine from getting it is cheaper insurance. Other than that, to me its defunct, unless it has any other advantages.

It taught you things you would have learned out on the road anyway, so yeah, I agree, if you're past the age that it makes any difference to your insurance (as I was when I was learning) then it's not worth it. 3 years and no accidents in my case, only claim I've made is for a chipped windscreen, £130 would just have been money down the toilet for me too.

i would of saved like 50 pounds for pass plus and it would of cost me more then that to do it so i didn't bother

i just went on a motorway trip to somewhere i wanted to go at a quite time

technically you do

they could argue that there is a modification to the cars wiring system

also a lot of people install subs at home do a half assed job and end up setting light to the car

usually (also in the case in the company I work for) any subs etc are covered under sound equipment, which does not count towards modifications and comes under your sounds equipment (usually £100) excess and usually a limit (commonly up to £500)

How is the wiring modified? Got a sub in my Stilo and the cars wiring hasn't been modified at all.

technically is, depends how you do it puntos for example where everyone take a switched feed from somewhere for the headunit is technically a modification

im not saying dont do it i have a sub as well and everything but just be careful and look at your policy

technically is, depends how you do it puntos for example where everyone take a switched feed from somewhere for the headunit is technically a modification

im not saying dont do it i have a sub as well and everything but just be careful and look at your policy

Ive no switched feed, so no modified wiring ;)

well i dont get this.. every ones saying they got cheap insurance and its gone down etc.. ive been driving for 2 years and ive got 1 year ncb (first year i would use my moms car now and then as a named driver therefore not getting my ncb up) so i got my punto 3.2k to insure i thought ahh well least next year it will go down also done a passplus made NO diff to price right next year renewel quote 2.1k oh not bad 1.1k knocked off but, i dont have that money so declared my car sworn for time being while i got some money right.. insurance quotes done the usual 2.9k! thats 300 pound cheaper and thats with my 1 year no claims! what on earths going on there?? right lets try some different cars see what there like.. 10 plate 1.6 ford fiesta zetec S (body kit 120bhp) 2.6k fully comp.. i mean HOW can that be cheaper fully comp then my farty 1.2 8 valve punto 3rd party fire and theft? i hate the country with a PASSION because of our overpriced ridiculasly taxed items.. how do the B***ards justify it?

simple really a 1.6 ford fiesta zetec S is crashed less then a 1.2 8 valve punto therefore it is classed as lower risk

ownership stats probably come into it as well what percentage of age groups own it and make a claim etc

simple really a 1.6 ford fiesta zetec S is crashed less then a 1.2 8 valve punto therefore it is classed as lower risk

ownership stats probably come into it as well what percentage of age groups own it and make a claim etc

but.. i tell you ide be more likely to wrapp the 1.6 round a tree then i am with my punto its got almost double its HP... also the zetec would more like to be broken into as its a 'fancy' looking car.. my girlfriend payed 1.2k on her first year on a 51 plate 1.3 16 valve ford KA she got 1 year ncb driving for a year and she payed 900 pound hows that fair? oh and shes had accidents but been delt with privately i can honestly sat ive never come close to smasking my punto up other then the close calls ive had with womans coming down one way systems old people not checking there mirrors and going to move over, taxi drivers etc undertakeing.. this country is well and truely a FK up..

I'm guessing the Fiesta also has better brakes, uprated safety features etc...so you probably wouldn't wrap it round a tree, unless you were driving like a t**t...in which case you deserve insurance at £3k.

Simple ways of getting cheap insurance:

Be the named driver but put parents, siblings, friends etc as additinal drivers
Pass plus (not everyone considers this as a reason to decrease insurance)
Get an insurance group 1 car (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/car-insurance-groups/?ig=1)
Drive safely and build up your no claims

There are no tricks really, unless you lie to the insurance company which is never good if you need to claim!

I jut swapped from a 1.2 16V bravo to a 1.8 16V bravo and my insurance only went up by £140 for the year :)

Back