how much oil for engine

Currently reading:
how much oil for engine

Petronas Syntium 7000E 0W30 C2 = Selenia Digitek Pure Energy 0W30 C2. Same company, same oil.

I've spoken directly to PETRONAS UK tech support at least a couple of times about 7000E vs Digitek Pure Energy.

Whilst they are both 0W30 C2 SN oils the Digitek is a *different* formulation to the Syntium. Digitek was specifically developed by PETRONAS / Selenia for the Multiair II engine.

If you ask them they will say/recommend Digitek. Now this I guess has to be expected.

For me I plan on sticking with Digitek, certainly during the warranty period. As the owners handbook specifies Digitek.

I have a little experience/understanding of the petrochemical industry in that my day spent his working life working for Shell and Exxon doing R&D, customer specific formulations etc. work for all the European car manufacturers.

I did ask him why, say Mercedes, have their own formulations and basically there are two reasons:

1) Own brand marketing

2) Specific requirements

The specific requirements are where all the hard work and research goes in. e.g. Whilst a base industry standard lubricant will work there can be specific issues that need further attention. A few years ago advances in modern high performance automatic gear box designs stressed existing oils with foaming and shearing of the oil in the torque converter which led to increased wet clutch plate wear. To overcome this new formulations were required ending up with manufacturers specific type approvals.

Taking this autobox example then over time the industry in general catches up. Same goes for engine oils and fuels.

So his advice was:

1) If new technology then stick (if you can) to the manufacturer approved product

2) If old established technology then use either mfg's recommendation or the correct industry specification.

With the Multiair engines the lubrication demands in the hydraulic valve operating components is *completely* different to that of a standard engine so you can be sure there were/are engine specific issues to address.

Early Multiair engines did have lubrication issues which is why Fiat changed the oil specification.

For me Multiair / Multiair II is new technology so I'll stick for as long as I can with whatever Fiat stipulate. (y)

I've spoken directly to PETRONAS UK tech support at least a couple of times about 7000E vs Digitek Pure Energy.

Whilst they are both 0W30 C2 SN oils the Digitek is a *different* formulation to the Syntium. Digitek was specifically developed by PETRONAS / Selenia for the Multiair II engine.

If you ask them they will say/recommend Digitek. Now this I guess has to be expected.

Well, I've spoken to Petronas Italy, and I have a written statement that both oils are EXACTELY (!!!) the same, just different pakkaging.
The reason I spoke to Petronas is that our new Giulietta (m.y. 2016) had it's first service this week, at an official Alfa Romeo dealer.
They filled the engine with Petronas Syntium 7000E, but stated it as Selenia Digitek P.E. on the bill...
Again, Petronas Italy assured me it's the same oil, filled from the same source.
As it's more easy to find than Selenia ( which is only sold at Fiat/Alfa dealers), I'm going to stick with it, as I do my own maintenance after 2018, when the factory warranty is gone.

Last edited:
Well, I've spoken to Petronas Italy, and I have a written statement that both oils are EXACTELY (!!!) the same, just different pakkaging.
The reason I spoke to Petronas is that our new Giulietta (m.y. 2016) had it's first service this week, at an official Alfa Romeo dealer.
They filled the engine with Petronas Syntium 7000E, but stated it as Selenia Digitek P.E. on the bill...
Again, Petronas Italy assured me it's the same oil, filled from the same source.
As it's more easy to find than Selenia ( which is only sold at Fiat/Alfa dealers), I'm going to stick with it, as I do my own maintenance after 2018, when the factory warranty is gone.

Thanks Peter - The plot thickens (if there ever was a plot). I hate it when this sort of inconsistent data is issued by the same company.

Given both oils come from the same stable then I'm not too concerned.

At any MultiAir engine, during every oil change, a small filter in the MultiAir unit needs to be changed as well.
It's not mentioned in any workshop manual, and often overlooked, but it's very crucial...!!
Part #: 0055238665.

#4 in the picture below.

emaps

Well, I changed the filter for the first time now, at 10.000km ( 6500mls) but it was spotless clean, so no need to change it at very oil change, I suppose.
I'm going to change it at every 3rd change in the future.

Back