General How much and how quickly (sell my car) ??

Currently reading:
General How much and how quickly (sell my car) ??

I might be getting rid of my Uno soon. How much do you think I can get and how quickly?

It's approaching 69k miles and has loads of work done while I've had it - No problems with it etc.

1990 60S e bay around £100 autotrader £200.
You have to bear in mind now you can pick up running unos for £50 on e bay.
Good luck
Pete

If the car has a full years MOT it will achieve a better price. People know they can drive the car for a year without any worries of additional expenditure.

How much you've spent on the car previously doesn't mean alot really on such an old car but adds some piece of mind. When selling a car, I always put all the documenation into a ring binder, presents it nicely and makes it look like you care (even if you do not!)

It is certainly worth ensuring the car is clean and tidy, give it a good polish and wax, tyre black, vaccum the inside and use some air freshner and stuff like that. Throw out sticky toys and any crap in the car. Presentation when selling a car is very very important more so than how mechanically sound the car is in most cases. If there are areas of rust, treat them, this will detract from the value.

If the car is taxed you should add that to the value of the car or do a deal with the buyer, because that could be worth more than the car.

I would probably agree with Peter on the price. If it is a nice example, few owners, well maintained, clean with a long MOT it could double the value. These cars are as cheap as chips making them an ideal buy for people looking for cheap motoring.

as its only a 1.1
and IF its in good condition
and you do all of what pottleflump said (cleaning etc)

you'll get 400-500.

its very hard to find a decent 1st car. i was lucky to get mine!
fiestas and 205s go for £600 in less than/fair condition.

i bought my 1994 1.0 5dr for £350. it was pretty imacculate but had several things which made it that price.

- 6 owners from new
- horrible multicoloured checked/tartan YUCK seats
- 3months MOT
- 1 month tax
- 2 new tyres needed
- tiny oil leak

I wasn't expecting to get back the cost of repair work, but mentioned that to show it has been well looked after.

I've done London to Scotland in it twice now - It's mechanically perfect.

Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm thinking what to do, maybe I could manange to keep both (the Uno and the 'new' thing).

Cheers,

Second hand cars are usually worth a lot more to the owner than the price you can achieve in a sale.
If you can afford to keep it you have the peace of mind knowing its history and maintenance.
Pete

I agree with Peterg...
A spare car always has its uses - Say you have to make a trip to the dump, or you have some friends visiting and can lend them the car... or your 'expensive' car needs repairs... or... or... :)

You have to start drawing the line at two spare cars, though! At the moment, I have three :D

-Alex

I agree :) spare cars are handy. Saved the day a few times now.

If you have a good storage place you might also consider having it temporarily off the road (ready to do the tests and get back on the road at a couple of days notice)

Keeping it means the cost of storing the thing, and that's dead storage, as there's no way I can insure two cars (just doesn't make any sense financially).

Alright guys, it's definately going. Either for a cash sale or use as part ex. for something like a Punto.

I'll be getting a Civic VTi. Dull and boring as hell, but I'm getting it free (!).

The Punto would be for my sister who will need something to learn in (needs PAS as a bare minimum). Got a couple of months though to sort that one out.

Any takers for the Uno as it is now?

Last edited:
Uno is now up in the classifieds.

I'm quite looking forward to the VTi. Will feel like having a mini-Type-R. The insurance was surprisingly affordable.

There's also so much that can be comfortablely done to the B16A2. Peter, have you got experience of it?

Last edited:
Use to drive the old Rover 827i with honda vti engines that were silky smooth and so free revving they sounded so sweet being floored.
Luckily they were company cars and no one ever stopped us thrashing them around the streets of London lol.
My mate had a civic hatch 1.6 vti he found it so reliable and smooth, I am talking about 10 yrs ago when small cars were no so refined as today.
The only downside is the price of parts.
Pete

Cool, so some guy back home in London wants it:D

Now I need to find a Honda Civic VTi forum to get my mods on.

Oh, and find a Punto SX or ELX

Back