Technical How much airflow does the radiator need?

Currently reading:
Technical How much airflow does the radiator need?

Most cars seem to have problems with overheating at low speeds rather than normal/fast speeds. I've witnessed loads of cars on the hard shoulder in motorway hold-ups with steam emanating from under the bonnet over the years. You get good airflow through the radiator while moving so you don't usually need a fan. The fan is primarily there to force air through the radiator while stopped or slow moving, and only then intermittently as the radiator thermostat demands.

So it doesn't matter how much you block off the airflow if you don't travel far or spend a lot of time in commuting jams. In these circumstances a second fan would make more sense.

A combination of an extra fan and improved airflow would cater to all driving conditions if you really want to make sure you don't get overheating problems.

If I were you I think I'd try to design my modified grille so that it can be easily swapped back with an original if there are any overheating issues, then have a spare grille ready to do this until you've solved the problem.
You can then just go ahead with your plan and see what happens, as LEWEY says, it may be that you don't need to do anything to the cooling system.

Got my fav idea on paper now... looks different to how i imagined it to be though.. looks like a big mouth and creepy eyes.

It's drawn to half scale... but it was a kinda guess with the circle diameters(2inch). Nor drawn to the exact mm each side be theres always time for improvements

The shaded bit will be were i have fibreglass. Though the F I A T logo at the top looks cool and the 5 chrome stips too.

Will have a go at making one on the computer later tonight. just not sure on colour.... black or green colour coded.... Black will be considerably easier. Had to take a pic on camera as it's to long to fit on out A4 scanner

Attachments

• SV401239.JPG
    SV401239.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm going to proto type using cardboard first jon just to be sure i like the style.

It's reminding me a an evo 10/focus rs front with the angled outward edges a abit. Like it's ready to eat up the road.... i wish!!

EDIT: quick mock up on paint of all things and it looks very flat lol. wi'll have a go at a full size cardboard one tomorrow evening. Need to find some 4 inch spot lamps now... any ideas?

Pic below

Attachments

• grille2.JPG
    grille2.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
"Most cars seem to have problems with overheating at low speeds rather than normal/fast speeds. I've witnessed loads of cars on the hard shoulder in motorway hold-ups with steam emanating from under the bonnet over the years." - Default user
(y)
this only used to be a problem when the fan belt broke... these days it's down to the rad fan sw not switching the electric fan on - a manual overide would prevent many of these breakdowns! There are electronic systems now that work from the temp sent to the ECU - possibly more reliable...
As many of us have discovered the alloy head on the 'FIRE' engine warps very easily...
cheers
lwm

Back