Technical How easy to fit an Abarth engine into a 1.6 stilo?

Currently reading:
Technical How easy to fit an Abarth engine into a 1.6 stilo?

Alright guys? :)

Ok, My 1.6 16v dynamic 3door is not fast enough for me. I have fitted a K&N typhoon kit to it with about 10 extra bhp or so but i need MORE power.

I have looked down the line of gettin a stage 2 package from GSR engineering for £360 which increases by about 30bhp which you guys probably already know.;)

ANyway, I am considering buying an abarth engine with 50k on the clock. How easy and how expensive would you think fitting an abarth engine into my 1.6 bodyshell would be?

You guys will prob say, "buy an abarth it will be cheaper" but my stilo has full leather, a bose sound system in it which i installed and i love it to bits. So dont really want to part with it but want to improve him.:)

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly received. cheers guys

It'd be a bit of a nightmare I'd suspect. Easier if you got a manual abarth motor though I reckon.... it's all the ecu, wiring, electrics thats the issue tbh plus the physical size of the inline 5 being bigger than the 1.6. To be honest it won't be mega fast with even the abarth motor in, the abarth engine isn't really anything special... don't think that because it's an 'abarth' that it is tuned and has fancy internals or anything. What I found with my stilo is that it was such a heavy car that even with a abarth motor or more powerful still it'd never be that spritely, just because of the size of it. Costs money to get them to handle too, mine had konis all round and still felt like suet pudding. Nice cars though. I just wouldn't go down that route.

Could you not get an abarth and swap your bits over?

takes about 2-3 days thats what our members manage to do. Already about 5-6 guys from the club converted their stilos to abarths. you just gotta basically take the car apart to its shell to pass the abarth wiring loom. Everything is plug and play. The holes for the alternate motor mounts are already in all stilos.

p1010172.jpg

p1010192.jpg

p1010210m.jpg

p1010211.jpg

p1010213s.jpg

p1010214.jpg

p1010219x.jpg

p1010222o.jpg

p1010225.jpg

Last edited:
As the boss said...
I think he'll soon experience something like that :)

Hi boss!

Also need to mention that the Abarth car should have (or not) the skywindow deppending yours...

Keep in mind that the "easiest" way is to get a fully functional abarth car. Try to avoid buing a "cut" car.

Last edited:
takes about 2-3 days thats what our members manage to do. Already about 5-6 guys from the club converted their stilos to abarths. you just gotta basically take the car apart to its shell to pass the abarth wiring loom. Everything is plug and play. The holes for the alternate motor mounts are already in all stilos.

p1010172.jpg

p1010192.jpg

p1010210m.jpg

p1010211.jpg

p1010213s.jpg

p1010214.jpg

p1010219x.jpg

p1010222o.jpg

p1010225.jpg

That answers the question then, decide for yourself wether all that effort in the pics is worth it mate, and if you are good enough with the tools and have enough patience..

If you're doing it in the Uk the ins premium is going to be silly, you'll probably have to get it VIC checked, MOT'd, new log book etc

Is it worth it??? No imo it'll only be 170bhp so not that brill for what it is you get 150bhp out of the 1.9 jtd

If you shop around you'll find all those things in an abarth.look here, here, here, here and here some nice abarths there(y)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you're doing it in the Uk the ins premium is going to be silly, you'll probably have to get it VIC checked, MOT'd, new log book etc

Is it worth it??? No imo it'll only be 170bhp so not that brill for what it is you get 150bhp out of the 1.9 jtd

If you shop around you'll find all those things in an abarth.look here, here, here, here and here some nice abarths there(y)

Have to say I agree

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I'd buy an Abarth with leather (theres lots of them about and for good money) then swap the sound system over.

Swapping your sound system is a lot less work than an engine swap, and you'll be left with a proper abarth then with your own touches.... not a modified 1.6 shell that will always be known as an abarth copy.

I'd say thats a no brainer, but depends on your situation.. age... funds etc.

I'd buy an Abarth with leather (theres lots of them about and for good money) then swap the sound system over.

Swapping your sound system is a lot less work than an engine swap, and you'll be left with a proper abarth then with your own touches.... not a modified 1.6 shell that will always be known as an abarth copy.

I'd say thats a no brainer, but depends on your situation.. age... funds etc.

Tis true that and if you declare the sound system with it being a stilo upgrade (I am right in thinking yours is OEM right Jay31191?) most ins will be ok with it. My premium did go up when I did me wheels

Back