How does this thing fit in??

Currently reading:
How does this thing fit in??

Been having a bit of trouble fitting an aftermarket stereo to my Multipla. The existing Fiat (Blaupunkt) cassete player came out OK but when I looked at the back all the connectors are neatly built into the back of the unit. The new CD stereo has the wires coming out of the back with the connectors on the end of 5" or so of wires. With all this excess wire and connectors floating about there is no room to push the stereo all the way in! Is there a technique to do this job or is it a peculiarity of Multiplas?

Been having a bit of trouble fitting an aftermarket stereo to my Multipla. The existing Fiat (Blaupunkt) cassete player came out OK but when I looked at the back all the connectors are neatly built into the back of the unit. The new CD stereo has the wires coming out of the back with the connectors on the end of 5" or so of wires. With all this excess wire and connectors floating about there is no room to push the stereo all the way in! Is there a technique to do this job or is it a peculiarity of Multiplas?[/quote]

Ideally, you want a Blaupunkt CD Stereo. You should be able to pick one up on Ebay, and this would let you use the existing connectors and save space. Alternatively, if you need to use the aftermarket stereo you've already bought, you could either try to get a couple of Blaupunkt type floating sockets and fit them to its wires, or cut the Multipla plugs off and join things together via terminal blocks.

FWIW, I think it would be a shame to cut the original Multipla wiring; they've hooked things together quite neatly.

Been having a bit of trouble fitting an aftermarket stereo to my Multipla. The existing Fiat (Blaupunkt) cassete player came out OK but when I looked at the back all the connectors are neatly built into the back of the unit. The new CD stereo has the wires coming out of the back with the connectors on the end of 5" or so of wires. With all this excess wire and connectors floating about there is no room to push the stereo all the way in! Is there a technique to do this job or is it a peculiarity of Multiplas?

only thing i can advise is to put ur hand right in the back and push the wires abit further back where they come from and give the headunit one big shove in

whoa, whats all this talk of having to get a blaupunkt replacement :confused:

the bloke has the thing connected, there is just excess wiring.

Its quite simple, you can cut the head unit wires down, get some scotch blocks from maplins and just slice the wires toget her, that should leave you with wires of an inch or two. Hopefully they would fit inside the space

whoa, whats all this talk of having to get a blaupunkt replacement :confused:

the bloke has the thing connected, there is just excess wiring.

Its quite simple, you can cut the head unit wires down, get some scotch blocks from maplins and just slice the wires toget her, that should leave you with wires of an inch or two. Hopefully they would fit inside the space

Not "having to"; it's just a neater solution but you're right, if the guys already wired the new radio, it's a matter of making it fit. Scotch blocks might work, (that's what I meant by Terminal Blocks) but if he's really stuffed for space, seperate colour coded bullet connectors (one for each wire pair) would give a bit more wriggle room.

Remove the ashtray it then reveals 2 gaps either side and is easy, i did this when i put my Alpine in.
Also is your radio no got iso connecters? my was plug straight in:confused:

Remove the ashtray it then reveals 2 gaps either side and is easy, i did this when i put my Alpine in.
Also is your radio no got iso connecters? my was plug straight in:confused:

Remove the ashtray? Why didn't I think of that? :bang: There really is no room at all for the new stereo, although it works fine when connected, so I'll give that ashtray removal trick a shot. I take it it's just the screws at the front and not a case of removing the whole console to do it?
Thanks for the advice guys (y)

Back