General Hoping for a bit of advice...

Currently reading:
General Hoping for a bit of advice...

Eiteews

Hello,

I've not been on here for a while but was hoping to get some more of your great advice...

We have had a Cinq Sporting (Black, 98 R reg) for the past 3 years and neither of us can drive so the car has sat dormant for nearly the whole time. It is currently registered SORN and we hate watching it sit there unused.

Since we had it it was stolen and the steering lock was damaged... we replaced the passenger window, the steering lock and the surround ourselves and it was working fine. 6 months after this the reverse gear stopped working, I'm not sure if its the inhibitor cable or not. We were starting it up regularly but the battery died a few months back and we haven't replaced it since as we thought it would go to waste. There are less than 40,000 miles on the clock.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited by a moderator:
SlinkyCinqi - I'm not sure to be honest... the reverse gear is the biggest thing I would think, but I expect it would need new tires and definitely a new battery.

rallycinq - I'm in Exeter

custard - Sorry, I didn't really think it was appropriate for the classifieds as I'm looking for information and tips at the moment... I apologise if I've caused any offence. Sorry if I'm being dense but what is T&T. Hope it doesn't have to go for scrap because I would be so upset!!

does it actually go into reverse or is it impossible to select it? If you cant select it then I would suggest looking at the linkages, possible they have corroded or come loose etc. Could also mean that the clutch might need adjusting, did it ever grind into reverse on a regular basis?

If it goes in but does nothing then its possible the box is at fault, although I would check the linkages anyway!

K4RL - Thanks!

Bushboy - If you try to select reverse it jumps straight out again. Never had any issues that would indicate dodgy clutch. One day it worked fine the next time it stopped.

Tabblink182 - I would think someone would do quite well out of breaking it but I have no garage/storage space, tools or experience!

Sounds like it is probably more than adjustment, but when people are talking about the clutch adjustment I found my cable became almost impossible to completely get into Reverse just before it snapped completely - they are extremely notorious for being cr*p. I take it you have tried adjusting it?

Back