General Hop, Skip and a Jump

Currently reading:
General Hop, Skip and a Jump

SkinnyandWirey

Hello, fellow Croma-ites :wave:

I hope you're all sitting comfortably...

I have a 2006 1.9 Multijet (120). It's just ticked over to 115k miles.

I've had it 3 weeks now. It's great, but it's going to cause me issues... :)

A few weeks back, I was having a few issues. It would go into limp mode every morning at a roundabout after my stretch to work (15 miles at 60mph (ish))

So, I stuck in some Wynns particulate cleaner and the performance improved dramatically almost immediately. Every positive reaction seems to happy a negative one though. Every time the car was was stationary, the sweet smell of exhaust fumes would pass through the air vents, and give us all a headache (Not ideal when you have a 6 week old girl in the back!)

So... Take it to my local indie, and eventually he diagnosed a faulty EGR valve. So, had a new one stuck on (under warranty), the smell has mostly gone and until 3 days ago, everything was fine.

Now, Ron (named after Ron Burgundy) seems a bit sluggish again. It;s skipping at around 2000/2500revs. Had a little jaunt down the M69 today, and it just felt very lack-lustre. Off then down to some country roads, hit a roundabout and it limps out while stationary. Throttle fails to respond at all. Turn it off, turn it on again seemed to work.

Got home (skipping all the way), stuck in my £10 code reader, and I got a

P0091 - FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW

I'm probably paranoid, but I'm sure the fumes/smell came back too.

I'm pretty sure they're all linked somehow.

Any ideas anyone? :chin:

Hello and welcome:-
The fuel pressure message is a new one to me but could be a fuel filter that wants changing, the going round a corner/island puts me in mind of this . I had this with the Marea estate and it was soon cured. The limp home mode is the ECUs way of protecting itself and the car from "damage" and lots of the things that can happen to the car will result in a limp home. The main one which has been "resolved" was the EGR , one thing not mentioned is the cleaning of the boost sensor. You can do this yourself its situated at the side of the EGR and is held in by one screw. It will look like a black blob of carbon on the inside, a spray with WD40 and GENTLE brushing with an old toothbrush will reveal a yellow sensor inside a plastic cage. The effect on mine was stunning, went from wheelchair to rocket chair:D.

Thanks!

I aim to be here a lot, but hopefully not asking too many questions as to why Ron keeps 'failing to comply'

Going to have a look at the boost sensor now. Thanks for reminding me!

Just checked out the pressure regulator. There's a lot of diesel around that area, which I guess where part of the problem lies. Looks like a job for the warranty if cleaning the boost sensor comes to nothing.

A lot smoother when she gets going, but still limping out when having to stop at traffic lights and roundabouts.

Having to turn it off and on again just about every time!

Sounds like the pressure reg then , the evidence of fuel outside it is not normal so I`d get that checked out . Dont forget the fuel filter either , it sits at the back of the engine on the bulkhead and can lead to a bit of grief if ignored. There is a warning light for water collection in this and can give spurious false readings and has been known to have quite a bit of water in it without flagging the light on the dash.
Best of luck, but glad its smoother when the turbo comes in . That pesky pressure sensor is very important and often missed in the head scratching when things go t*ts up.:rolleyes:

Bumping this, as the lovely old beast has this intermittent annoying thing of cutting out randomly.
It did it last night half around a roundabout, which caused some mild panic.

Reader is coming up with

P0091 - FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW

&

P0092 - FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH

Should I have changed the reg by now? Would a fuel filter cause the car to stop? Just seems a bit strange. It feels perfectly fine apart from that.

Cheers

The simple things first -
1) - Check fuse F21 on the battery top under the +ive cover. If its loose it could move when you go round a corner.
2)- Check the connector to the fuel pump it could also be loose / corroded.
There are lots more that could give your symptoms i`ve checked on my E-Learn disc and your symptoms are one of the faults you can find, i e cutting out and restarting.
If you have not got one it would be worth a couple of quid to get one off E-bay(y)

Back