General Hilarious extended warranty letter

Currently reading:
General Hilarious extended warranty letter

Warranties to me are what safety nets are to Trapeze acts. When you need them they are supposed to work.

Nice analogy.

I'd suggest researching the company underwriting the warranty & asking yourself the question "would I buy a used parachute from this outfit?"

I wouldn't consider a warranty for a 500 since the engines & gearboxs are robust (or at least it has been proven on the 1.2 & 1.4) ...

I might consider one if I'd bought a TA, though, at least until it's got a bit more of a track record - but I'd make doubly sure all the turbo components are covered.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem. It's a town car and mostly driven by girls, women, wife's. I can see a market for this even if it doesn't appeal to the more macho fiat 500 driver.

I wonder - who are these macho Fiat 500 drivers ? :rolleyes:

Came across an article written by Richard Hammond on the A500c and I though it was interesting given some of the new threads on the US or I should say NA A500. Looking at some of the cars most favoured by women in the US - a lot of their choices are very sensible.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/fiat/500-abarth/road-test/c-driven
This is because, in the engineers' own words, the 500C is the first Abarth that they expect to appeal to a female audience. (In fact, Abarth seems a little scared at the prospect of Actual Human Women wandering into its dealership, as if they might start furiously applying make-up or discussing shoes.)

Last edited:
I like the line "we'll cover all parts and labour costs for covered repairs " - gosh is that how a warranty works!

I still get loads of letters from Fiat for servicing & MOT reminders on cars I have sold years ago.

Better that Fiat & Alfa sort out a decent 3 year warranty with no quibbles on parts that should not really fail.

I might consider one if I'd bought a TA, though, at least until it's got a bit more of a track record - but I'd make doubly sure all the turbo components are covered.

For me it would a tuning box on a TA that get's taken off before its put on the forecourt. I've seen nothing about beefing up the standard C514 like the one on the MJ II which has the C514R.

I like the line "we'll cover all parts and labour costs for covered repairs " - gosh is that how a warranty works!

I still get loads of letters from Fiat for servicing & MOT reminders on cars I have sold years ago.

Better that Fiat & Alfa sort out a decent 3 year warranty with no quibbles on parts that should not really fail.

In support of Alfa they have been honouring the warranty on the C635 on the QVs even where they have been modified. But from recent experience it can get a bit wobbly on second ownership. Being the first registered owner of the vehicle gives you more clot.

In support of Alfa they have been honouring the warranty on the C635 on the QVs even where they have been modified. But from recent experience it can get a bit wobbly on second ownership. Being the first registered owner of the vehicle gives you more clot.

I've got a good Alfa dealer, but have still chosen to fix a couple of issues myself. Sometimes it's just easier.
The Fiat warranty should at the least be a 3 year manufacturers warranty. I wonder if the ridiculously priced Abarth Tributo at around 40K still only has a 2 year manufacturers warranty. I'd be peed off at having to pay for something like a split coolant hose to the turbo which like all other 500 Abarths will fail at about 25 months.

I agree the 2 year warranty is a joke, Fiat are living in the past.

I've got a good Alfa dealer, but have still chosen to fix a couple of issues myself. Sometimes it's just easier.
The Fiat warranty should at the least be a 3 year manufacturers warranty. I wonder if the ridiculously priced Abarth Tributo at around 40K still only has a 2 year manufacturers warranty. I'd be peed off at having to pay for something like a split coolant hose to the turbo which like all other 500 Abarths will fail at about 25 months.

I would imagine that any buyer of the A500 Tributo would be looked after but had not heard about the coolant hose to the turbo splitting. It's one that I'll have to look out for. At least I have the Alfa secondhand warranty.:rolleyes:

Reading through this thread, just thinking a few weeks back my supplying dealer (Mill Lane of Aldershot) went bust so presumably that means I have no 3rd year warranty now?

Once you have the invoices detailing the servicing done to your 500 you can go to another dealer.

• Thanks
Reactions: TRS
I took my letter out to my car when i got it, said look what your dad just sent me, it refused to start correctly for the following week, presume its in a bit of a tizzy over not getting the xbox for its birthday :D

Reading through this thread, just thinking a few weeks back my supplying dealer (Mill Lane of Aldershot) went bust so presumably that means I have no 3rd year warranty now?

Although it's sometimes referred to as a '3rd year dealer warranty', it's not specific to one particular dealer so you can go to any Fiat Dealer & they'll just refer your warranty claim to the company that administers the warranty. It's abit like one of those Domestic & General warranties you can get on a washing machine - sometimes if it goes faulty you might phone the shop you bought it from or contact the manufacturer, but they've paid for Domestic & General to opperate the warranty on their behalf so D&G organise the repair etc, probably at alot lower cost to the manufacturer than it'd cost the manufacturer to run themselves. Hence why Fiat do it i presume :(

There seems alot less quibble with Alfa's warranty in terms of them accepting claims. It's still a 2+1 year set-up like Fiat, but unlimited miles right upto the end of the 3rd year rather than unlimited in years 1&2 and then 60,000 in year 3, as on Fiat. I'm not expecting Fiat to go all-out & offer a Kia rivalling 7 year warranty, but it would be quite nice if people could actually get claims accepted for perfectly valid faults during the first 3 years - seen as part of the reason many people buy a 'new' car is for its warranty, it's not much to ask i don't think. Something they really need to sort out. I certainly won't be giving up easily if they start the cr*p with my Parents over any potential warranty claim. Especially not with the sortof mark-up on the 500!

• Thanks
Reactions: TRS
its a fun concept that might appeal to some owners, but i'm not that target market so can't comment how effective it might be

i haven't taken an extended warranty but if i was going to i probably wouldn't buy one from Fiat

Back