HIDs and the law

Currently reading:
HIDs and the law

The xenon systems have the leveller fitted to the suspension so as you hit a bump they react accordingly.

They also have adjustment on the head lamp to set the aim height correctly. Quite common is for new cars not to have the headlights aligned when PDI'd therefore 3 years goes by before its checked on MOT and this is sometimes where the fault lies.

oh and couldn't resist ... :p

Attachments

• repost4bq.jpg
    repost4bq.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
its dangerous, people think they are being flashed out at junctions :eek:
A flash of the headlights doesn't mean "pull out", it only means "notice me". They shouldn't be pulling out even if they are being flashed ;)

As far as I can see, the only 'actual' issue here is that the surface area of the halogen reflector is too large and causes too much glare (especially in the old skool square shaped headlamp cars).

Here is a HID bulb:

K9MUHGTX1all_type_of_hid_xenon_bulb.jpg

Looks barely any different to a standard bulb, cept it's pumped with 10,000 volts to up the light intensity.

You see standard HID's in the new spaceship style civic, and that does not come with projector lenses, yet the headlamp is fine. IT has very small squareshaped lenses that point downwards.

060913008.1.jpg

You can instantly tell when someone is running HID in non-projector lense types, yet ive been blinded far more times by bouncing bmw's and mercs, than normal cars with HID aftermarket kits.

Last edited:
As far as I can see, the only 'actual' issue here is that the surface area of the halogen reflector is too large and causes too much glare (especially in the old skool square shaped headlamp cars).

Genuine HID lights have a different lense pattern to a non HID light, which is why there are often problems with fitting HID bulbs into headlamps not designed to take them. It's not just the reflector that's the issue.

my understanding from this is they are neither legal or illegal. :confused:

I can see where its confusing Rolf...

The UK RVLR has no mention of them thus illegal under uk statute

however EEC Homologation allows them..

Its the same with many things take push bike lights a few years ago LED bike lights wern't legal either flashing or not however they were in Europe. they have re-written our RVLR amendments (october 2005) still doesn't fetch us into line fully with Europe To be UK legal the LED lights have to flash where as in Germany the German tested ( K~ marked) lights dont. This is the point where solicitors get rich following an accident

End of the day, if you own an old car with very dated headlamps. You're light output is going to be poor regardless of the bulb.

I had Ring 50% extra bulbs in my original MK1 Punto and the light was "ok".
When the punto was scrapped, I took the bulbs out and put them into my new Grande Punto and they were twice as effective dispite the bulbs being some 2 years old.

I wouldnt like to drive at night in a oldskool car.

I wouldnt like to drive at night in a oldskool car.

*Chas wonders how he's managed to drive over 70K miles, many of those at night, in 1980's Fiat Unos* :chin:

EDIT: And driving 40K mile in in a 1979 Vauxhall Cavalier and 35K miles in a 1982 Ford Cortina amongst others. Maybe I didn't drive in the dark? ;)

Last edited:
Back