500L Hi, this is all new to me so still figuring it all out! plus i need advice!

Currently reading:
500L Hi, this is all new to me so still figuring it all out! plus i need advice!

TJP2017

I have a Fiat 500 registered in 2017. Yesterday it caught me off guard because it beeped and a message showing, "warning, low fuel _ _ _" came on. I have never had this because i've never let it get this low. I'm not sure why it came on because my petrol light isn't on and its still showing a quarter of a tank. Usually when it goes just below a quarter my petrol light comes on and i fill it up. It's never been low enough for this message to come on. But because my petrol light isn't showing and the gauge is showing a quarter full i'm wondering if i need to reset something? Check something? Or if something is broken (hopefully not expensive). I'll go fill it up shortly anyway just in case and see how much it takes. Anyone got any ideas? Thank you :)

Hi :)

Traditionally :
I have a range of modern FIAT cars.
But no 'l'..and the light comes on at indicated @80 miles range

Then @40 you get a beep and 'range display' goes blank

Did your range display show an odd figure?... at 1/4 full I would expect 120/200 range depending on engine

Hi :)

Traditionally :
I have a range of modern FIAT cars.
But no 'l'..and the light comes on at indicated @80 miles range

Then @40 you get a beep and 'range display' goes blank

Did your range display show an odd figure?... at 1/4 full I would expect 120/200 range depending on engine
Hiya, thank you for replying.

It didn’t show a range it only showed blanc lines _ _ which has also never happened.

I went out early and filled it up. It now shows 350 miles in the range and the gauge is showing full. I’ll keep an eye on it see what happens I guess? Just seems very strange.

Sounds normal to me. I had a Bravo that used to announce things like this. If the car was cornering and the fuel level altered due to this ir could sound off. Put it down to an Italain moment> My Bravo nearly frightened me to death when it decided to shout WARNING WINDSCREEN WASHER LEVEL LOW at me one day when I was driving very fast late for an appointment at a most inappropriate (for me) moment. Its all down to elctronic sensors...... Do you trust everyting your computer says, I know I dont, but it carries on plodding on.

That sounds almost as if..

The Gauge doesnt register quite how low the actual level is..

Out of interest - check the volume of fuel you managed to put in today

If you got 45 litres in a 50 litre tank there is your answer

Do let us know what you discover :)

Bristol has a few hills. If the fuel level is low, any change in attitude may move the fuel to give a low level warning, but in the time it takes to read the message, the level may have stabilised. I've seen this happen a lot in hilly areas, not so much in flatter locations.

Rectifying the problem is of course expensive, as you have to add fuel.

Back