500 (Classic) Hi all.. Lockdown Project Newbie!

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Hi all.. Lockdown Project Newbie!

Steve366

Hi, lockdown in NZ has given (forced) me into some projects. One of them being my wifes 500 Nuova . Thanks for having me along. :)

Welcome to the Forum. You are lucky in that New Zealand has a surprising number of 500s (or, as they were called when they were built in N/Z, Bambinas) running about. Where about in N/Z are you? When starting/re-starting a project like yours it is often very helpful to have a fellow 500 owner to assist/encourage you.

Hi and welcome :)

Have you had it a while?

Charlie

yeah since '99, sat it the garden a very long while. been back in the system after a spray and interior job for about 6 years but has been dogged by bugs and lethargy. Lucky covid has forced my hand and the weather has been Ok for shed activities. :)

Welcome to the Forum. You are lucky in that New Zealand has a surprising number of 500s (or, as they were called when they were built in N/Z, Bambinas) running about. Where about in N/Z are you? When starting/re-starting a project like yours it is often very helpful to have a fellow 500 owner to assist/encourage you.

We are east coast of the North Island, we have Napier guy Ant Freeman if required. He says this looks like an Italian assembled car, lots and lots were put together in Auckland back in the day.

Just started on the gearbox, it has a bearing spinning in the case, we have a few cases so either that or some loctite and punch arrangement. Heard of that happening much?

Last edited:
Hey Steve, I'm also a Napier owner with an Italian assembled 500.

Hey Steve, I'm also a Napier owner with an Italian assembled 500.

Cool, I know there are a few around. This is my wifes car and we hope to be out in spring this year. No doubt a cafe liaison will occur in Napier when the sun is in the sky long enough for us to drive that far :) . I bought a load of stuff off Ant a while ago and am just going though it during the lock-down to see whats any good, mostly gearboxes and engines so if you need anything let me know.

Last edited:
do I do that as an attachment or does it have to link to a photowebgeezer kind of thing?

Steve, just below the box you type your reply in (you need to scroll down a bit) you'll see a "manage attachments" section. Use that, it's fairly straight forward. If you are in a quick reply screen go to "go advanced" to take you to the reply section that has the manage attachments feature. Hopefully that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_115329.jpg
    IMG_20190421_115329.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
ok.. there we go.. not been a forum user for a while and it used to be about linking to photobucket etc.

Attachments

• 2014-04-12 17.18.09.jpg
    2014-04-12 17.18.09.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37
very nice Steve. What year is it? I'm not sure when they started assembling D models in Auckland. My car is a '73 Italian assembled car

The first 500s assembled in New Zealand was in December 1960. I have a copy of the Todd Niall book "Bambina" and on page 21 there is a picture of "the staff and managers from VW Motors Assembly Plant celebrating the completion of the first 500s to be built in N/Z, Decenber 1960."

The first 500s assembled in New Zealand was in December 1960. I have a copy of the Todd Niall book "Bambina" and on page 21 there is a picture of "the staff and managers from VW Motors Assembly Plant celebrating the completion of the first 500s to be built in N/Z, Decenber 1960."

I also have that book within 5 feet of my desk but was too lazy to look it up:eek:.

Hello, I am the owner of a 2010 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multiget car, I hope to learn from this community

Back