Hi all, from a father and designated mechanic of a Punto Mk2 Owner .

Currently reading:
Hi all, from a father and designated mechanic of a Punto Mk2 Owner .

Deanofiat

Good morning or evening to you all. My names Dean and I found you all whilst doing a bit of research.

Just so you know, I moved away from mechanics for a living many years ago. Unfortunately, I can’t get rid of the spanners as I have a fleet of family cars to look after before I retire 😩 . (just kidding really, it’s nice to stick my head under a bonnet from time to time).

I was hoping to pick your brains a little on ecu's or ecm's, as I seem to have got myself one of them ecu brain worms, and from someone who trained on points and condensors, its just a little alien to me.

Speak soon.

Dean

Hi and welcome, 🙂

The 188 puntos were not overly complex.. 👍

What are you battling with?
Hi and thanks for the welcome..

Its a problem I have been trying to get to the bottom of with my lads Punto Mk2, which started with intermittent cutting out and engine light coming on. Im going to try to retrace my acions when the wine head has worn off in the morning and post on the Punto thread, but what I can say for now is, I ended up changing the coil pack, plugs and leads and its still getting the engine management light coming on every now and then. Appearently the engine doesnt cut out any more, and I thought I read on here that a bad coil can cause issue with the ecu. So just for sh*ts and gigles and to expand my tinkering a little, I wanted to try to buy a second hand ecu, virginise it and then try it out. My only problem is, I dont know what hardware software is needed to perform this task, and if the cost outways the strong urge to do such a task in the first place. This may sound a litttle odd but I seem to be more interested in progrming an ecu than fixing the problem 😁.

Back