punto.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Here's my Punto!.

Introduction

Gunna need some work done to it as it was off the road for 8 years, recently given it full new brake pipes, pads and shoes, needs a new battery, fan belt and it'll pass its MOT!

Brilliant first car if I'm honest, although the amount of people mistaking it for the 'Inbetweeners car' is unreal! (n)

56K on the clock, paid £150 cash for the car - costing me 7.5k on insurance as I'm a provisional driver... What do you think guys?
Re: Here's my Punto!

It is just crazy the price of insurance tbh, but my old man said something about Admiral giving a 50% ncb after the first year if I go with them as my own insurer the second year, so it is just a case of shopping about after I pass my test. Oh, and I'll be doing the pass plus course and that supposedly brings the insurance down a bit as well!(y)

Good lad! Could you remember the idling rate of your old Punto? Mines is sitting at just over 1000rpm when idling, and I can't figure out whether or not it's because the timing may be slightly out...

It should be, let the car run for 10-20 mins to let the temp rise and check the idle then. Should drop, otherwise get the timing sorted.
As for Pass plus, Do it as soon as you pass, then tell you insurance company :)
I did it and it took about £80 off the bill, not alot but anythings extra pennies that can be spent on your car, fuel, or the OH in my case :doh:

Tom

It should be, let the car run for 10-20 mins to let the temp rise and check the idle then. Should drop, otherwise get the timing sorted.
As for Pass plus, Do it as soon as you pass, then tell you insurance company :)
I did it and it took about £80 off the bill, not alot but anythings extra pennies that can be spent on your car, fuel, or the OH in my case :doh:

Tom
Sounds good mate, it does slightly drop from 1100 to about 900 after a good 15 minutes now that I think about it haha! It's just 1100 seems real high even for just starting, so I reckon a new timing belt is needed!

Oh and my OH is skinning me haha! I feel your pain bro!

I take it that revving it from cold is BAD! But what does it do to the engine to mess it up? :eek:

Its not recommended because the engine needs to be at operating temp to keep the oil at the right viscosity, lubricating the full engine.. When the engines cold, its not fully lubricated! Also, the pistons won't have expanded the slight amount that they do at normal operating temp, and this can cause piston slap which can damage your piston skirt and rings, not to mention the combustion chamber! Its fine to do once in a while just not every time you start your car haha!
Take it from a training mechanic :p

the oil needs to be upto temperature before it does its job of lubricating properly. I have always kept the revs under 3k until the car is upto operating temperature

Its not recommended because the engine needs to be at operating temp to keep the oil at the right viscosity, lubricating the full engine.. When the engines cold, its not fully lubricated! Also, the pistons won't have expanded the slight amount that they do at normal operating temp, and this can cause piston slap which can damage your piston skirt and rings, not to mention the combustion chamber! Its fine to do once in a while just not every time you start your car haha!
Take it from a training mechanic :p

ah right, cheers lads. You learn something new ever day. (y)

Sounds good mate, it does slightly drop from 1100 to about 900 after a good 15 minutes now that I think about it haha! It's just 1100 seems real high even for just starting, so I reckon a new timing belt is needed!

Oh and my OH is skinning me haha! I feel your pain bro!

Nah, Most cars have high idle when theyre cold because the oil in the crankcase and around the engine is thicker and less viscous, once it warms up it gets thinner allowing the engine to move more freely, no point in the unessesary expense of changing the timing belt unless its desp needed.

Tom

Nah, Most cars have high idle when theyre cold because the oil in the crankcase and around the engine is thicker and less viscous, once it warms up it gets thinner allowing the engine to move more freely, no point in the unessesary expense of changing the timing belt unless its desp needed.

Tom
Cheers, Tom! The timing is definitely slightly out, so I'll fix that and I won't change the belt unless it's absolutely necessary - save ALL the pennies!

hate to break it to you but it is cheaper to insure with a provisional licence so if anything when you pss it will go up even more :(

Back