Technical here we go

Currently reading:
Technical here we go

lipstickred

hi all :)

just got meself a cinquecento in lipstickred :p

m plate 900cc sx 15000 miles, just one old lady owner previous to me

car though badly needs some tlc as dont think its been serviced for years

dont know this car at all so will begin with a haynes manual on e bay ;)

but me reckons to begin with it needs new oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs,

the brake oil is black :( so that needs flushing out and here is the first fault

the brake pedal is hard to begin with and stops the car, but i dont think its as sharp as it should be, then the pedal gives way and sinks to the floor :eek:

wot de yer reckon ????

cooling system needs flushin as water is muddy and next fault

is the temp gauge refuses to rise when the car is moving though when standing it rises to 90 and fan cuts in ok

thermostsat ????

interior fan not workin at all :rolleyes:

me thinks thats enough to be going on with :bang:

so any help in you good people can give me will be much welcome

ohhhhhhh nearly forgot can anyone point me to a downloadable owners manual

ta (y)

Last edited:
hi all :)

just got meself a cinquecentoin lipstickred :p

m plate 900cc sx 15000 miles, just one old lady owner previous to me

car though badly needs some tlc as dont think its been serviced for years

dont know this car at all so will begin with a haynes manual on e bay ;)

but me reckons to begin with it needs new oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs,

the brake oil is black :( so that needs flushing out and here is the first fault

the brake pedal is hard to begin with and stops the car, but i dont think its as sharp as it should be, then the pedal gives way and sinks to the floor :eek:

wot de yer reckon ????

cooling system needs flushin as water is muddy and next fault

is the temp gauge refuses to rise when the car is moving though when standing it rises to 90 and fan cuts in ok

thermostsat ????

interior fan not workin at all :rolleyes:

me thinks thats enough to be going on with :bang:

so any help in you good people can give me will be much welcome

ohhhhhhh nearly forgot can anyone point me to a downloadable owners manual

ta (y)

Welcome to the Forum

From what you have written I would suggest all the things you start with are a must, so:- oil, plugs, air filter, brake fluid etc, get them sorted.
Before you bleed the brake system through I would suggest you investigate the condition of the brake master cylinder which could be knackered.
Brake fluid is anhydrous and as such should have no water in it. I assume from the reg and the mileage that the car has been sitting around for a while. What happens is, the brake fluid picks up water from the atmosphere and it gets into the system.
It then proceeds to help the inside of the master cylinder to rust, when you brake the seals pass over the rust and gets wrecked whereby the seal gives no resistance from the point the rust starts.
Have a look inboard under the dash at the pedal box, you might see leaked fluid around the area, if there is, the master cylinder has probably had it.
Other than that it could be a leaking wheel cylinder which is probably more likely and is a cheap fix.

The temperature is almost certainly the thermostat and if you intend to do and engine flush I would change it during that process cos the chances are you will be removing it to flush the system anyway. There are threads on here relating to the thermostat which will help with the checking of it but again its not expensive to change.
Interior fan could be a fuse or the potentiometer which controls the fan speed. Check the fuse first though cos generally the potentiometer only lets go on one speed, for instance you will have speed 1 & 3 but no 2 or no speed 1 but you have 2 &3 and so on.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Welcome to the Forum

From what you have written I would suggest all the things you start with are a must, so:- oil, plugs, air filter, brake fluid etc, get them sorted.
Before you bleed the brake system through I would suggest you investigate the condition of the brake master cylinder which could be knackered.
Brake fluid is anhydrous and as such should have no water in it. I assume from the reg and the mileage that the car has been sitting around for a while. What happens is, the brake fluid picks up water from the atmosphere and it gets into the system.
It then proceeds to help the inside of the master cylinder to rust, when you brake the seals pass over the rust and gets wrecked whereby the seal gives no resistance from the point the rust starts.
Have a look inboard under the dash at the pedal box, you might see leaked fluid around the area, if there is, the master cylinder has probably had it.
Other than that it could be a leaking wheel cylinder which is probably more likely and is a cheap fix.

The temperature is almost certainly the thermostat and if you intend to do and engine flush I would change it during that process cos the chances are you will be removing it to flush the system anyway. There are threads on here relating to the thermostat which will help with the checking of it but again its not expensive to change.
Interior fan could be a fuse or the potentiometer which controls the fan speed. Check the fuse first though cos generally the potentiometer only lets go on one speed, for instance you will have speed 1 & 3 but no 2 or no speed 1 but you have 2 &3 and so on.

Hope this helps.

Dave

cheers (y) dave

have just ordered service stuff

but as i havnt got me haynes yet could you tell me where the fuses are??

not seen any leakage at all but will look again :cool:

and where will i get a new wheel cylinder ??

or if the cost isnt toooooo much is it worth just replacing the master clyinder

your help is much appricated

:worship:

charlie

I think ther's an owwners manual in the downloads section. If not, the Sei manual pretty much applies.

right this is where i show me ignorance big time :eek:

cant find anything on my car or the sei on the download section only stuff about seicento

linky pooo please mate

:confused:

charlie

right this is where i show me ignorance big time :eek:

cant find anything on my car or the sei on the download section only stuff about seicento

linky pooo please mate

:confused:

charlie

The Sei's are just made over cinque's. here is a haynes manual for the Cinques.
If your car has only done 15k is probably have never been out in rain or road salt and lots of bits may be ok, e.g. slave cyliners may be pristine.
The hydroscopic brake fluid may be risky if you thrash the brakes, fade big time, pedal hits floor with a bang, need prayer mat.
The gauge or the temperature sensor may be kaput but more likely the thermostat is not operating, in traffic the car should run its radiator cooling fan (intermittently but) a lot - this is normal, worry if it does not.
The coolant has at least one air bleed point you need to check there is not air in system occassionally, and the level real regular until you are familiar with any foibles. Flushing the rad and engine with garden hose and then using a proprietary rad flush, desirable on any new vehicle.

Noel
P.S. information is in the 'guides' link in your signature line

Last edited:
cheers (y) dave

have just ordered service stuff

but as i havnt got me haynes yet could you tell me where the fuses are??

not seen any leakage at all but will look again :cool:

and where will i get a new wheel cylinder ??

or if the cost isnt toooooo much is it worth just replacing the master clyinder

your help is much appricated

:worship:

charlie

Ok Charlie,

The fuses are located under the dash directly under the steering column, there's a black box type fitting with a small flap, just pull that down and you'll see them. I'm not sure on the cost of a master cylinder but the wheel cylinders are cheap as chips and can be found plentiful on Ebay. I think I paid £8 for the two of mine.
When you work with the brakes, just be thorough and methodical, the Haynes manual is really going to help you so if I was you I'd just get one on Ebay, it won't be too much cash.

Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you get on. With that low mileage there shouldn't be too much to do and the consumable items you change will make a big difference to the way it runs. When you do the oil, why don't you get some Wynns engine flush and use that before you drop the old oil out of the sump? You can get it at Halfords and will clean out all the sludge in the oil ways that would have built up over the years and if its never been serviced, it's most definitely been running on Selenia, which seems to coat the engine with gunk.

regards

Dave

Ok Charlie,

The fuses are located under the dash directly under the steering column, there's a black box type fitting with a small flap, just pull that down and you'll see them. I'm not sure on the cost of a master cylinder but the wheel cylinders are cheap as chips and can be found plentiful on Ebay. I think I paid £8 for the two of mine.
When you work with the brakes, just be thorough and methodical, the Haynes manual is really going to help you so if I was you I'd just get one on Ebay, it won't be too much cash.

Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you get on. With that low mileage there shouldn't be too much to do and the consumable items you change will make a big difference to the way it runs. When you do the oil, why don't you get some Wynns engine flush and use that before you drop the old oil out of the sump? You can get it at Halfords and will clean out all the sludge in the oil ways that would have built up over the years and if its never been serviced, it's most definitely been running on Selenia, which seems to coat the engine with gunk.

regards

Dave

hmmmm engine flush, never thought of that (y) good idea !!

will pick up all the stuff tommorrow and service the car monday :yum:

and play with the fuses now i know where they are

cheers dave (y)(y)

Back