Help with new car please!

Currently reading:
Help with new car please!

Madshorty

Just 5 more minutes!
Hi, I am looking at buying a car and would really like some advice on what to get. I currently drive a Mazda MX-5 convertible but this really isn't practical! Before that I had my beloved Sei and Cinq, both I miss very dearly and still regret selling. Starting to hate the Mazda so it has to go really. Top points for me are

1. Not too big as parking is really bad where I live (can be high but not long!)
2. Big enough for a dog (I'm fed up with him on the passenger seat!) and some shopping.
3. Max budget of £3500
4. No more than about 10 years old
5. Fairly cheap to run

I'm not bothered about huge performance, just as long as it looks ok-ish and runs well I'm happy. I don't do any long distance driving, but it is used daily, roughly 100 miles a week tops.

I've tried looking around on the internet and have been to a car supermarket to look at a few. The kind of thing that I was thinking of is a Renault Scenic. Do Fiat make anything comparable or are some of their smaller cars capable of what I need?

Would appreciate any help on this....:)

Depends just how old you wanna go!

If you enjoyed the Sei and the Cinq, why not try a Mk1 Punto Sporting 16v? They are 10 years old now, but great fun, cheap and not heavy on the fuel!

306 turbo diesel?

I do like the Punto's, especially the newer ones but what are they like for space? I don't mind spending quite a bit on the car if it then runs well and fairly cheaply. Are they good on reliability as far as cars go?

Hmmmm, Focus, not thought of that one. Not sure what I think of them, kinda have an issue with Fords but have no idea why!!:confused:

As for the Alfa, we have one already (the OH's) and I think you would have to be slightly mad to have 2! Fantastic to look at and drive but a nightmare to run and maintain!!! ;)

Go for a doblo. Ugly as sin and therefore rejected by chavs etc - so only group 2 insurance.
1.9tdi engine is the mutts nuts for pulling away and pretty good fuel economy - I'm looking at 45mpg around town with steady driving (plus 1litre of cheap veg oil mixed with 9litres of supermarket diesel).
cavernous interior is fantastic for 5 adults plus big dog or 4 plus big dog and shedloads of camping gear for the week.
Not a very likeable car so prices tend to drop somewhat - meaning you'll likely get a real bargain (I picked up a 1y/o with over £4k off the new price and les than 10k on the clock).
Being van based means you get super large mirrors for better visibility but for around £50 on ebay you can buy a reversing camera to get within a millimetre of the car behind.
fitting a towbar is a breeze and because of the height, it tows a caravan almost as though it wasn't there (and the 1.9tdi engine helps you to forget the van & it is easy to push the outfit up to 70:eek:).

I've tried looking around on the internet and have been to a car supermarket to look at a few. The kind of thing that I was thinking of is a Renault Scenic. Do Fiat make anything comparable or are some of their smaller cars capable of what I need?

Multipla is Fiats direct equivalent of the scenic. 1.9 jtd is the engine to get apparently, but there is a 1.6 16v petrol option. you might not be able to get the facelifted version though, which could be a problem as it's looks are certainly unique.... and not to everyones tastes

Mmmmm, Fiat Doblo may be an option, quite big but looks ok. Didn't even think of that one, will put it on my to test drive list!

I had looked at the Multipla as the salesman said it was the equivalent to the Scenic but it is somewhat unique stying.....:eek:

Can't buy Citroen or Peugeot as the guy that works on all my cars refuses to work on them and at the rates he charges me I'm not going to argue!!! (bottle of wine for cambelt change is my kinda guy!!)

Not a fan of the Stilo, unsure as to why, just a Fiat that I don't really like.

Thanks for the continuing help though!!!:)

Although there is only 2 of us at the moment plus the dog I would like the versatility of the additional seats as you never know when you're going to need to give someone a lift - a lesson I've learnt from having the Mazda!

If I knew then what I know now, my first car would have been a cheap 2 seater of some description - as soon as I passed my test I had more mates than I ever realised. I was suddenly the local free taxi.
Interestingly, when I made out my car was off road for a spell of serious maintnance, all my additional mates crept back into the woodwork.

Back