Technical Help with choosing Michelin Tire AGELIS 3 ??

Currently reading:
Technical Help with choosing Michelin Tire AGELIS 3 ??

SBQ

I have a 2013 Fiat Ducato campervan (Swift Forte 6.3m long) that came with the following tires: Bridgestone 'Duravis' model with the load markings 109 / 107 S and 215/70/R15. My biggest complaint with the Ducato is it's low ground clearance and many times the Thule powered step gets smashed from driving over a hump / being high centred, likewise with the front under cover that often gets squished when the road has wheel deeps that leaves the centre of the road too high and rubs the tire (notably in gravel shingle roads). So I bought a set of 16" alloy wheels from the Fiat dealer many years ago with intentions to upsize tire for higher ground clearance.

I'm a big fan of Michelin but where I live in NZ, it seems their product line differs to what i've known the brand to be in N. America. I've come across this terminology of CP "Camper rated?" by various tire manufacturers. Here in NZ the Light Truck tire Michelin markets is the Agelis 3. But they also show other tire variants ; Agelis, Agelis +, and Agelis 3. Having called the tire distributor for Michelin in NZ, she also could not tell me the differene between each one, though she said that the Agelis 3 are their latest model tires in that range. Having a look online the Agelis 3 has been out since 2019.

Using the following calculator https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-70r15-225-70r16
I have 2 questions:

1) Has anyone been happy going with wider 225 with 70 profile? I have no issues with the current 215 but since the overall tire is taller, it may affect the ride quality being narrower and more prone to side drifts (vs wider tires have less side wall drift). Also would like the 75 profile but the calculator shows that the rear tires would be very close to rubbing the body wheel well (ok on the front) - wheel rubbing when the wheels are turned? Local Michelin supplier does not have a 225/70R16 but does have the 215/70R16. If you want 225, then I have to go with the 75 profile.

2) Is this CP rating a marketing ploy as the local NZ tire dealers have never know a CP rating for Michelin tires and what is more important is the actual load rating.

We often carry a heavy load in the campervan and at times (I know it) that we go over the rated capacity. The chassis says 3600 kg GVW but I believe this should be more relevant to the Ducato MAXI model? With the Bridgestones, we've never had a problem ever, despite when fully loaded, I wonder how much more stress the tires could handle.

The newer Ducatos on the heavier chassis platform I see are 16" standard size with much larger tire. Though I was lead to believe my Ducato was designed with the same platform but with just smaller 15" rims? I noticed this as when i'm driving on the highway, my speedometer greatly overstates my speed. When i'm driving 100kms/hr, Google Navigation and radar says i'm around 93kms/hr which is a significant difference and wonder that Fiat had intentionally made my chassis for 16" rims?

Looking forward to some replies before I commit myself to buy new tires.

I just realised I made a mistake on the tire size, I should have no problems going with the 75 profile as that would only be an extra 30mm on each side of the tire. I was assuming the full 60mm would be from edge of the tire tread to the body wheel well. It's only half of that.

As an interesting note, Michelin Agelis 3 does not have a listing for 225/70/R16, so i'm looking at 215/75/R16 which is 7.5mm greater in diameter.

Last edited:
2) Is this CP rating a marketing ploy as the local NZ tire dealers have never know a CP rating for Michelin tires and what is more important is the actual load rating.

We often carry a heavy load in the campervan and at times (I know it) that we go over the rated capacity. The chassis says 3600 kg GVW but I believe this should be more relevant to the Ducato MAXI model? With the Bridgestones, we've never had a problem ever, despite when fully loaded, I wonder how much more stress the tires could handle.
Marketing ploy, widely believed so. A stiffer side wall for siting about for months on end is the reasoning. Many Motorhomes can be supplied with either (CP or C) new depending on availability so not a requirement.You are correct the load rating is more important.
Weight plate is more interesting. a standard Ducato rating will be about 1850 front 2000kg rear gross 3850kg (ie designed wt for brakes suspention etc) the MAxi is higher typical gross above 4000kg. the standard chassis came with 15 pcd 118 steel wheels or 16 pcd 118 Alloys. The Maxi 16 x130pcd. Beware of Derating by convertor OR State limmitations eg UK and europe 3500kg is a limit used because of licience limmitations. an hgv licience is required above this (however old farts in UK who passed test before 1997 have a limmit of 7500kg). Recent ducato wheel sizes may be a different ball game.

Having a read at the following link below, many owners have experienced positive results going with the 225/70/R16 size tyre:

Since Michelin does not make that size tire in their Agelis 3 line, the closest tire 215/75/R16C which adds 7.5mm extra in overall height (vs 225/70/R16). Load range is 113 which is much higher than the 109 Bridgestones. Have placed them on order and will see how it works out.

New tires!

Before: Bridgestone 215/70/R15
After: Michelin 215/75/R16C

I believe going 215/75 is slightly larger diameter to 225/70 (both 16" rims).

Repost as the Michelin tire pic didn't show before:

yLs63vb.jpg

Back