Panda Help please!!!!!!!!!

Currently reading:
Panda Help please!!!!!!!!!

DavidII

Hi, I've just joined the Fiat Forum and I'm hoping that someone can advise me on my problem. I own a 55 plate Fiat Panda turbodiesel. Recently, the front wipers started to behave oddly. Basically they only ever work when they are set to fast speed. When set to fast they sometimes work and sometimes not, if they do not work the only way to get them going is to switch the engine off and then on again and try once more. Once going, they usually stop in any case within a minute or so. They do not work at all when set to intermittent or normal speed. The back wiper works just fine.
I'm a very poor mechanic but am eager to try and fix this myself if at all possible because I suspect that a garage or dealer will simply change everything which I imagine would be costly......
I'm assuming that the motor itself works or the wipers would not move whichever setting I put them to and that therefore the problem might lie with a switch, fuse, relay.........I'm half guessing at that, but it seems to make sense.
I would be eternally grateful to anyone able and willing to advise me on this matter.

Thank you,

David :)

David - I will put good money on this being a problem with water in the electrics. The wiper motor and its electrical connections lie in the scuttle area beneath the windscreen and this is a semi-sealed cavern that catches the water coming off the front of the car and windscreen. It has 2 rubber duck beak ((technical term...) type drain plugs, which are supposed to let the water out, but always get blocked up. This causes the water and goop level to rise, filling the wiper connections, switches and motor with putrid bin-juice, which in turn typically makes the wipers do what you describe.

First you need to clear this plenum/scuttle area out to allow the water to drain, then attack the wiper bits with a serious stripdown and clean. Not easy, but I wager that's what is wrong.

David - I will put good money on this being a problem with water in the electrics. The wiper motor and its electrical connections lie in the scuttle area beneath the windscreen and this is a semi-sealed cavern that catches the water coming off the front of the car and windscreen. It has 2 rubber duck beak ((technical term...) type drain plugs, which are supposed to let the water out, but always get blocked up. This causes the water and goop level to rise, filling the wiper connections, switches and motor with putrid bin-juice, which in turn typically makes the wipers do what you describe.

First you need to clear this plenum/scuttle area out to allow the water to drain, then attack the wiper bits with a serious stripdown and clean. Not easy, but I wager that's what is wrong.
Dear Ringa,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had a kind of general feeling that water/electrics had something to do with it but nothing specific. Now I have something to work with. I'll try as you suggest on Saturday morning and see if it works. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes but either way I'm truly grateful for your time and input.

Regards,

David

Dear Ringa,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had a kind of general feeling that water/electrics had something to do with it but nothing specific. Now I have something to work with. I'll try as you suggest on Saturday morning and see if it works. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes but either way I'm truly grateful for your time and input.

Regards,

David
Hi, I checked the area described for water/goop but everything was dry. I did dry it all off when the problem first occurred and it appears to have remained dry since then. Something else I've noticed is that when the car is static the front wipers always work, engine on or only ignition on, though only on the fast speed (never whilst on intermittent or normal speed), when the car is driving however the wipers will always stop working within 30 seconds. Once they have stopped only switching the engine off and on again gets them going. If anyone has any idea why this seemingly baffling pattern keeps repeating itself then I would love to hear about it...................thank you!!

Its a puzzling one.
My next check would be for an earth connection problem.
Get the plastic cover off from in front of the windscreen.
Clean the connector terminals to the wiper motor.
Follow the wiring and try to find where the earth wire attaches to the body. Make sure this is clean and making a good connection.

Could also be a connection issue with the column switch.
Remove the column surrounds so that you can see the switches and their wiring. Check for any loose or broken wires or connections.

Back