General Help Please

Currently reading:
General Help Please

alex.beckett

Hi,

This morning on the way home my 01 Fiat Bravo 1.2 conked out as i came off of the main road.

For the last week my car has had no hot air coming out of the blowers, which leads me to beleave that there is an air block in the system. Then this morning the engine management light was on and the temp gauge was up on full. The car conked out and wouldnt start again as i came into town and started to smoke slightly from the pipes.

Ive left it to cool down now for a few hours but any help would be much apprechaited as to what the problem is...

Thanks
Alex.

Sounds awfly like head gasket to me. Top up the coolant and see if it starts, if it struggles then most likely head gasket. I have had this happen to mine, same car slightly older. Of course the car overheating due to lack of coolant could have done this, you might have one hell of a job getting those HT leads off, mine were practically glued to the plug through the heat. good luck.:(

You need to find out where coolant went.
Reason it wont start after stopping could be to hot, fuel evaporates in cylinder, or plug leads melted so no spark, fuel washes oil away from cylinder walls = no compresion.
When heater blew cold you 1st port of call should have been coolant, open bonnet and had a look.
you have either a leak on the coolant system or head gasket gone, once you have boiled it you will need an oil change as it will be knackerd, also it is an alloy head so if head gasket has gone you will be looking at least a skim if not new head as the chances are it will be like a bananna when you take it off, if it was just a coolant leak and you refill and get it going - take a look at all the blanking plugs around the engine, to see if they leak as a dry engine can pop these out, hope all goes well for you!
what you have to remember here is you car gave you a pre warning of this impending doom with a cold heater, you should have listerned to it and had a look, it may have just been a poped hose, which could now cost you dear I am afraid to say, if you listern to your car most times it will tell you!

Back