Technical Help ! Noisy 500 1.4 16V Engine

Currently reading:
Technical Help ! Noisy 500 1.4 16V Engine

IMHO its worth opening the bonnet and doing the same video. and moving round
anything rattling in the engine bay? hose into the airbox attached? Is there oil in it?

I hate trying to track down noises in the engine bay!
Is your 1.4 petrol? Do you have air conditioning?
From my experience working on my 1.2 with air conditioning… it can be anything from the aux belt tensioner right through to timing belt or the clutch on the air conditioner compressor

You need a listening tube … long screwdriver or garage stethoscope and move it around each component and try to locate the sound/s

That does sound quite noisy .. could be one thing or a multitude…. What age is the car? How old is the oil?

It doesn't sound all that bad to me... but you must be asking for a reason. As John says ^^, is this a new car to you, or is it someone else's car etc. or is it your car which you've had for ages?

If it's your car, has the noise just appeared, or has it been doing this for a while and been getting louder?

The first thing to check is that there's enough oil in there. Open the bonnet with the engine off, find the dipstick and pull it out... Is there oil on it, and is it within the pimpled section at the bottom? If it's on the bottom mark... add half a litre of oil to the car, give it 2- 3 minutes and then check it again. You may need to add another bit of oil to get the level to the top mark. You won't need more than 1ltr.

The other thing I'd check is that the exhaust isn't blowing at the exhaust flexi section (the part of the pipe under the sump that is covered in braided steel, or looks like a concertina, if your braided steel has gone AWOL). Without dropping the car on your head or burning yourself... with the engine running, put your hand around the flexi (especially anywhere where the braided steel has a hole in it, or looks sooty) and feel for exhaust gas puffing out.

I think it'll be just low oil... which is easy/simple to solve.

Ralf S.

I didn’t think it sounded great unless…it’s a diesel! My neighbour asked me to pump up her tires on her 09 punto she was riding around at 24 psi when they should have been 35/30!!! I took the opportunity to pop her bonnet and have a poke about……😬😬😬 she was driving with very low coolant ….. and the engine oil only just registered on the stick!

She informed me she put loads of oil in & I replied yeah I can see it all over the engine block 😂 her seal has gone on her rocker cover! 🤨

Sent her on her way with a list & instructions!!

My point to this ever so long story is… her engine was ticking over quieter than mine!!! And my car gets the spa experience every six months!!!!!!
I didn’t realise that age punto has a very similar looking engine to mine even though hers is a 1.4 … same air box too

The video sounds usual old FIRE engine to me, which might be my audio. or the relative volume effect has been lost because it's recorded ... but I can't really detect a "problem" with it, which is why I was asking what's happened for the OP to post the question.

They can get clattery when low on oil, or when the oil is hot or thinned out through mileage... the Elder Mrs S's Uno 45 made more noise every last couple of thousand miles before it was due an oil change).

Ralf S.

Hi and thanks for thd replies sorry for delay I finally caught the Coronavirus 😷 !!!
Can the Bravo 1.4 16V be put straight in to my 500 1.4 16V same year cars ?

Back