Styling HELP ME! mk1 punto roof rubber

Currently reading:
Styling HELP ME! mk1 punto roof rubber

margo

I recently bought a punto mk1 td70 , nothing to complain about it mechanically but I need advice on the roof drip side moulding. ( the black rubbery thingies running at the side edges of the roof) After i bought it i discovered hidden rust underneath it near the winscreen on one side and the roofrack brackets.

I cleaned, sanded and covered with 2 coats of hammerite white (since the car is white). then I covered all with white zinc grease and put on new rubber mouldings but these dont fit snuggly in the area where are the brackets even with doors closed.::cry::cry::cry::cry:

There is a gap between the roof and the moulding. What do u suggest as a solution for this gap ? And if u can give me suggestions if I did any mistakes in dealing with the problem, maybe I can further touch up or do things differently next Summer.

thanks in advance for any replies !
regards.
Margaux:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

New seals may be wrong! And congratulations! You found the main rusting points for punto's (y) That, the sump and one little space on the bottom of the car.

I know a few people have filled in the entire section where the mould sits in and had it sprayed over, could be an option if you can DIY it.
Otherwise check the mouldings against the old one's or silicon them on? Tigerseal? May not be able to get them off again easily but you only need to if you plan on fitting a roof rack

New seals may be wrong! And congratulations! You found the main rusting points for punto's (y) That, the sump and one little space on the bottom of the car.

I know a few people have filled in the entire section where the mould sits in and had it sprayed over, could be an option if you can DIY it.
Otherwise check the mouldings against the old one's or silicon them on? Tigerseal? May not be able to get them off again easily but you only need to if you plan on fitting a roof rack

Thanks very much for answering :eek:! I compared the old and new ones before putting them in. The only main difference was the consistency. The old ones were not as bendy and felt stiffer. I thought it was a result of aging of the rubber but I might be wrong. I am hesitant to put the old ones on because their inner iron cables that basically keep them in shape had rusted out and would leave rust marks on the paint. I have two ques for you dear Bredsticz:

I do not know whether the rubber roof dripside gutters were designed to allow water to travel between bodywork and rubber?( since if a rook rack is mounted there would be an obvious gap which you cannot do anything about it. ). that is why I havent put any silicone yet.

What do you mean by filliing the section where the moulding sits in? taking off the whole rubber and replace it with something else or just sandwich something in the middle?

hope I wasnt too nerdy in asking so much detail, and thanks again for your attention :p:eek:

Yes, instead of the rubber there they remove it and use bodyfiller to fuill the whole gap so it's like a continuation of the roof.
I don't think it is designed to run water out either

Okay just spoke to the op and it's not what I thought he meant. It's a mk1 which doesn't have the same rubber bits as the mk2 that I was thinking off. It's what the door seal presses against! Anyone with a mk1 have a better idea?

Okay just spoke to the op and it's not what I thought he meant. It's a mk1 which doesn't have the same rubber bits as the mk2 that I was thinking off. It's what the door seal presses against! Anyone with a mk1 have a better idea?

exactly it is a big chunk of rubber strip that functions as a rain gutter and conceals the roof rack brackets at the side of the roof. once the doors are closed the top part of the doors conceals everything and sanwches it :p

so we managed to explain what is the problem... now its time for the punto mk1 people to speak out and help :) :eek:

thanks in advance guys :worship:

Back