Tuning help i have put a k&n air filter an now my engine has overheated and is leaking oil .

Currently reading:
Tuning help i have put a k&n air filter an now my engine has overheated and is leaking oil .

russruss123

help i have put a k&n air filter an now my engine has overheated and is leaking oil .

i thought it would be a good idea to try boost my engine performance by installing a k&n induction kit only for my engine to overheat (red lights). so i pulled over looked under the bonnet of my punto sporting 1.2 16v x reg to find a loose bolt ,that wasnt previously loose, leaking oil it is on the front of the engine is holding some pipes to the engine. there was some smoke because of the engine temp mixed with the oil. i tried to tighten the bolt but it was like the thread had broke. i dont know much bout cars but am thinking it might be a gasket problem any help would be appreciated thanks (n)

Re: help i have put a k&n air filter an now my engine has overheated and is leaking o

Afraid K&N are reputed not to give any power gains on FIAT's, or at least Punto's. There are plenty of bolts on the front of the engine, I think getting this moved to the Punto section and getting some pictures up (or until then describing where it is attached to) so we can work out which system it's off.

Re: help i have put a k&n air filter an now my engine has overheated and is leaking o

Oh no not the punto air filter problem.
Lesson learnt there dont put cheap **** on your engine do it properly.
I dont know a great deal about cars but in my experience cheap DIY induction systems are best left in the bin. I believe it is something to do with the MAF sensor as if you change the environment that they are originally designed for then they cant give correct readings. (can somebody confirm that)
This probably has nothing to do with your bolt so good luck with that.(y)

Afraid K&N are reputed not to give any power gains on FIAT's, or at least Punto's. There are plenty of bolts on the front of the engine, I think getting this moved to the Punto section and getting some pictures up (or until then describing where it is attached to) so we can work out which system it's off.
well i took my broken pride and joy to the garage cause i aint got a clue . mechanic says my head gasket gone plus timing belt ,thermostat, oil filter and exhaust manifold gasket(think this was the loose bolt part where oil leaked from).
the k&n was the self destuct button i think and now i have to pay £410 for work plus k&n also cost £70. am startin to feel the credit crunch now. gutted :)

£410 for all that work isnt bad, make sure the head is being skimmed!

£150 for a timing belt done and £300 for a head gasket are all values I've heard thrown around, so the extra work in there is a major plus :)

Definately get it all done though, don't want a repeat in a weeks time or anything!

its only that cheap cause i know him he said it should be £650. i only brought the car a month ago the dude i brought it off is gonna pay half so it aint that bad thanks for your help lookin forward to getting my baby an my nice ice that i installed the day it broke:bang:
would u recommend taking the k&n off ?

will it cause me any problems leaving it on cause kinda like the sound it makes? does it also affect my insurance?

Last edited:
Back