General HELP!! Dilemma time.

Currently reading:
General HELP!! Dilemma time.

I don't think the megane will lose a lot of value compared to my Bravo because of what it is.
I think I'm going to be a sap and stick with my Bravo, for the reasons I've mentioned above and because I've acquired a bit of an emotional attachment after my European road trip. Reliability has been superb so far, apart from the pesky EGR.

I don't think the megane will lose a lot of value compared to my Bravo because of what it is.
I think I'm going to be a sap and stick with my Bravo, for the reasons I've mentioned above and because I've acquired a bit of an emotional attachment after my European road trip. Reliability has been superb so far, apart from the pesky EGR.

good decision.

fuel consumption is also a problem on the old meganes rs, I don't know why it would keep its value with such a flaw.

I wouldn't go for the old megane cup... it's fun to drive the first two minutes but then you realise that you have an old megane with the old ****ty interior and not very reliable.

It also looks ridiculously old and outdated compared to the new Megane RS.
My bad. For some reason I thought we were talking about the new Megane...
I would probably still seriously consider it though - it does look proper "bad", even if outdated... :)

Last edited:
The decision is a good one. You won't really be gaining anything if you went for the Megane, except more fun, but for which you sacrifice comfort, space and probably some reliability.

I think this trick works on a Megane, certainly does on the older style Clio's. Press on the middle of the front wing, it really shows how well made Renault cars are ;)

Isn't the odd question with a used Megane "have the headlight bulbs been changed recently" it is a 45min + job and dealers want a lot of cash to do it too!

I posted in the repeat thread (whoops) but basically as I said better the devil you know. With our roads do you want a sporty vehicle- I saw someone who did the same, nice sporty Seat and got rid as it was a terribly harsh ride for his commute

Seriously people, stop spouting nonsense.

Even if by some miracle they start looking into engine progs to test for remaps and make you fail the MOT, you can always remove the remap before getting your car checked.

They keep a backup of the original software when they remap your car in case you want to revert back to it. you can even take the backup with you in a USB drive if you want.

Seriously people, stop spouting nonsense.

Even if by some miracle they start looking into engine progs to test for remaps and make you fail the MOT, you can always remove the remap before getting your car checked.

They keep a backup of the original software when they remap your car in case you want to revert back to it. you can even take the backup with you in a USB drive if you want.

This is what the MOT board has decided, so I fail to see how it is nonsense :confused:.

And, would you once yearly have to drive x miles to get your engine unmapped, only to drive there again to get it remapped again not 3 hours after? That's why, until the details are released to exactly what is going on, then it'd be best to wait if people are looking for re-maps. Also, I didn't post something else I caught wind of, which is they are looking for insurance purposes, as the amount of people who don't declare them.

Now THAT is nonsense.

This is what the MOT board has decided, so I fail to see how it is nonsense :confused:.

And, would you once yearly have to drive x miles to get your engine unmapped, only to drive there again to get it remapped again not 3 hours after? That's why, until the details are released to exactly what is going on, then it'd be best to wait if people are looking for re-maps. Also, I didn't post something else I caught wind of, which is they are looking for insurance purposes, as the amount of people who don't declare them.

Now THAT is nonsense.

how can the MOT centers check for remaps without wasting hours on every car? do they have the programs for every car ever made in their database for comparison?

It's not just a matter of pluging it to any diagnostic tool and see if it was remapped. Esepcially if the person who remaped your car didn't sign it in the software.

I don't know how they are going to do it, but it's clearly a serious proposal with a viable way of doing it. I'm not expert on the field, just passing on the message so people aren't stung in the behind in 6 months time.

I like Renaults :(

Why? Every Renault I've ever driven has been absolute rubbish in every sense of the word, and I've been exposed to quite a number of models since my employer buys them as company cars. One of the current ones is a '10 Scenic, and it's the best of them so far - which isn't really saying a lot.

And, would you once yearly have to drive x miles to get your engine unmapped, only to drive there again to get it remapped again not 3 hours after?

No need to. Individual maps can easily be stored into a PPC device, and then you can flip back and forth between the two maps whenever you feel like it. (mother-in-law borrowing the car, etc).

Back